XTL W series Programming Cable Help

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ScannerDan

XTL W series Programming Cable Help

Post by ScannerDan »

akardam wrote:
johnnyleo11 wrote:Model No: M20KSS9PW1AN.
Low/Mid power, max of 50w. If you've got a W series head remote kit on it, you'll need the HKN6155 Astro Spectra+ / XTL cable. There's rumors you can use one of the HKN616x series data cables to program the radio from the rear connector, but I've never heard of this being a reliable solution.
Sorry to bring up an old thread however, I'm confused.. I recently acquired a dash mount low/mid power XTL 5000 radio with an W7 control head on it. I have been told by different people that this radio needs to be programmed via the rear connector utilizing the HKN6161A Programming / data cable, then in this thread folks state to use the HKN6155A cable. So which one do I get in order to program this thing??

Thanks

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Jim202

Re: XTL5000 Programming Question(s)

Post by Jim202 »

ScannerDan wrote:
akardam wrote:
johnnyleo11 wrote:Model No: M20KSS9PW1AN.
Low/Mid power, max of 50w. If you've got a W series head remote kit on it, you'll need the HKN6155 Astro Spectra+ / XTL cable. There's rumors you can use one of the HKN616x series data cables to program the radio from the rear connector, but I've never heard of this being a reliable solution.
Sorry to bring up an old thread however, I'm confused.. I recently acquired a dash mount low/mid power XTL 5000 radio with an W7 control head on it. I have been told by different people that this radio needs to be programmed via the rear connector utilizing the HKN6161A Programming / data cable, then in this thread folks state to use the HKN6155A cable. So which one do I get in order to program this thing??

Thanks

Dan..

To add one more comment to this back and forth thread. You can make your own USB programming cable that uses the accessory connector on the rear of the mid power radio. All you need is the pins to go with the normal accessory connector that comes with the radio with the ignition wire and speaker wire already attached. Find an old USB cable that will plug into your computer. You don't card what connector is on the other end. Your going to cut it off anyway. Look in the service manual to find the pins and make it up. All you need is the USB connections and ground.

Wire colors are standard and you can find the connections of the USB by doing a search for USB cable connections on the Internet.

Jim
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

I still need clarifications on which is the proper programming cable for this thing.

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ScannerDan wrote:I still need clarifications on which is the proper programming cable for this thing.

I guess it depends on which radio interface connector you want to use. On the mid power radios, you have access to the USB connections directly on the rear accessory connector. This is the cable that I have made up in the past. It's only usable on the mid power radios. The USB connections are not available in the DB25 connector.

Jim
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Jim202 wrote:
ScannerDan wrote:I still need clarifications on which is the proper programming cable for this thing.

I guess it depends on which radio interface connector you want to use. On the mid power radios, you have access to the USB connections directly on the rear accessory connector. This is the cable that I have made up in the past. It's only usable on the mid power radios. The USB connections are not available in the DB25 connector.

Jim
In order for the radio to fire up I need to supply power to the ignition sense wire on the rear connector along with the normal power cord. I noticed that the programming/data cable does not have a hot wire for the ignition sense so how will the radio turn on?

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

You are not using the programming cable, you're using the data cable. You need either HKN6160 for RS232 or HKN6163 for USB. HTH
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

escomm wrote:You are not using the programming cable, you're using the data cable. You need either HKN6160 for RS232 or HKN6163 for USB. HTH
Thank you..

jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: XTL W series Programming Cable Help

Post by jmr061 »

HKN6155
Serial Port (RS232) Programming / FLASHport Cable
ASTRO Spectra Plus CPS

HKN6183
GCAI RS232 Program/ Flashport Cable
Programming Mid or High Power Radios through control head or TIB GCAI connector on transceiver.

HKN6184
GCAI USB Program/ Flashport Cable
Programming Mid or High Power Radios through control head. Used for programming High Power Radios Only through the GCAI TIB connector on the transceiver.

HKN6122
RS232 Data cable
Can also be used for programming Remote Mount Mid or High Power Radio through the J600 TIB Connector.

HKN6160
6 ft. RS232 Data Cable
Can also be used to program Mid Power radio through the J2 Accessory Connector on rear of radio. Can be used to Flash mid power radio with O3 Control Head.

HKN6161
20 ft. RS232 Data Cable
Can be used to program Mid Power radios through J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio. Can also be Used for data terminal applications.

HKN6163
6 ft. USB Data Cable
Data cable and can be used to program Mid Power radios through the J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio. Can be used Flash Mid Power radios with O3 Control Head.

HKN6172
15 ft. USB Data Cable
Data cable and can be used to program Mid Power radios through J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio.

Note: This cable will not work correctly with a Dash Mount radio.

The above cable part numbers are supplied by the help file in CPS. ScannerDan is saying he has a dashmount W7 XTL5000. There is NO GCAI connector on this radio.

You have three choices.

It can be programmed through the mic connector using the HKN6155 cable (astro spectra plus cable if you choose to call it). I have had varying success with this on XTL5000 W series radios though. Some will work some won't....I don't know why.

I personally use the serial HKN6160A cable which does have the ign sense wire on it. This plugs in the 26 pin connector on the back of the radio. The other option would be the USB HKN6163 USB cable which should have the ign sense wire on it as well. Nothing else will work.

I HIGHLY recommend the 6160 SERIAL cable.

ESCOMM is correct. I just wanted to reinforce this.

Jason
ScannerDan

Re: XTL W series Programming Cable Help

Post by ScannerDan »

KB9KST wrote:
HKN6155
Serial Port (RS232) Programming / FLASHport Cable
ASTRO Spectra Plus CPS

HKN6183
GCAI RS232 Program/ Flashport Cable
Programming Mid or High Power Radios through control head or TIB GCAI connector on transceiver.

HKN6184
GCAI USB Program/ Flashport Cable
Programming Mid or High Power Radios through control head. Used for programming High Power Radios Only through the GCAI TIB connector on the transceiver.

HKN6122
RS232 Data cable
Can also be used for programming Remote Mount Mid or High Power Radio through the J600 TIB Connector.

HKN6160
6 ft. RS232 Data Cable
Can also be used to program Mid Power radio through the J2 Accessory Connector on rear of radio. Can be used to Flash mid power radio with O3 Control Head.

HKN6161
20 ft. RS232 Data Cable
Can be used to program Mid Power radios through J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio. Can also be Used for data terminal applications.

HKN6163
6 ft. USB Data Cable
Data cable and can be used to program Mid Power radios through the J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio. Can be used Flash Mid Power radios with O3 Control Head.

HKN6172
15 ft. USB Data Cable
Data cable and can be used to program Mid Power radios through J2 Accessory Connector on rear of the radio.

Note: This cable will not work correctly with a Dash Mount radio.

The above cable part numbers are supplied by the help file in CPS. ScannerDan is saying he has a dashmount W7 XTL5000. There is NO GCAI connector on this radio.

You have three choices.

It can be programmed through the mic connector using the HKN6155 cable (astro spectra plus cable if you choose to call it). I have had varying success with this on XTL5000 W series radios though. Some will work some won't....I don't know why.

I personally use the serial HKN6160A cable which does have the ign sense wire on it. This plugs in the 26 pin connector on the back of the radio. The other option would be the USB HKN6163 USB cable which should have the ign sense wire on it as well. Nothing else will work.

I HIGHLY recommend the 6160 SERIAL cable.

ESCOMM is correct. I just wanted to reinforce this.

Jason
Again thank you...

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”