Random Re-starts - XTS2500 - while inactive

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Leadenwah

Random Re-starts - XTS2500 - while inactive

Post by Leadenwah »

I'm have an XTS-2500 which while sitting inactive has random restarts.
With the radio on an inactive conventional UHF channel and without
transmitting will randomly restart itself. It happens with known good
batteries and when sitting in or out of the charger and is occastional
rather than a constant series.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem
or suggestions as to cause ?
Jim202

Re: Random Re-starts - XTS2500 - while inactive

Post by Jim202 »

Leadenwah wrote:I'm have an XTS-2500 which while sitting inactive has random restarts.
With the radio on an inactive conventional UHF channel and without
transmitting will randomly restart itself. It happens with known good
batteries and when sitting in or out of the charger and is occastional
rather than a constant series.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem
or suggestions as to cause ?

When you say "RESTARTS", are you saying the radio re boots itself like you just turned it on?

This could be from a number of causes if the radio is booting up again all by itself. You could have low voltage from the battery or a poor battery connection. You did mention that you have tried different batteries. Have you looked at the battery connection on the radio? Are the batteries loose when mounted on the radio? Have you measured the battery voltage of the different batteries? You might be changing batteries and they all are at end of life and can't supply the needed voltage at the current draw.

If it isn't a battery problem, then there is a chance there is a loos connection in the radio itself. This could run the gauntlet from a loose ribbon cable to a bad power switch. Even a crack in the circuit board. There is a possibility that you have a cold solder joint on the circuit board.

Does this happen more when the radio is cold or hot? A cracked board or cracked solder joint on a surface mount component generally will show up more in real cold weather.

An intermittent problem like this is sometimes hard to locate and repair. It takes sometimes months to narrow down the cause. That doesn't mean you have located the exact cause. Just narrowed it down to being able to cause the problem by doing something the same all the time.

Good luck on this one. Sounds like you had batter have a friend that works on the bench on this model radio a good part of the time.

Jim
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I've seen this with after market batteries. A swap to a Motorola OEM battery resolved it.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I had a 3000 do that, but only while in scan mode, & I was using factory batteries. They couldn't fix it, so they gave me a new radio. GARY
Leadenwah

Post by Leadenwah »

Thanks to all who replied.
I have tried known good and freshly charged batteries.
I am beginning to think about a loose connection or
board problem.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”