Motorola Quantar SCM

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vanderau
New User
What radios do you own?: Tait TM9155, Motorola Quantar

Motorola Quantar SCM

Post by vanderau »

Hello:

A couple of questions:

1. Can a SCM with V.24 port, from a P25 UHF Quantar repeater be swapped into a P25 VHF Quantar repeater, whose SCM didn't have a V.24 port, and the old VHF code plug written into the replacement SCM, and the repeater work "plug-and-play"?

2. I cannot figure out why my P25 repeater is not repeating supplementary data messages, like call alert (page) and unit call. These messages pass between radios correctly when the radios are in talk-around mode, but when they revert to repeater mode, they appear to not be being repeated. I never see a blip of the red transmit LED and the target radio never receives the call alert or unit call invite. IMBE voice repeats just fine. Any hints where to look to rectify this?

Thank you.
MattSR

Re: Motorola Quantar SCM

Post by MattSR »

vanderau,

The V.24 port isn't part of the SCM. The V.24 port attaches to the Wireline card which sits next to the SCM module. You can swap the wireline card + V.24 board from your UHF Quantar into your VHF one, then read the VHF codeplug, enable the V.24 card, and write the codeplug back again.

Check your firmware versions,and also does the repeater key up when you send a page or call alert? You can see the Quantar key up and also transmit the digital 'tail' during the hang time/drop out delay. I have a few Quantars set up on 70cm and these work fine for call and page alerts.

Cheers,
Matt
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I assume you have RDLAP enabled? Also early firmware versions didn't handle data packets well.
Koniec12
New User

Post by Koniec12 »

Is it possible to update really old firmware at ones?
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Yep, there's a couple of ways to get around it.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”