Custom Astro Radio?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hvacesu78

Custom Astro Radio?

Post by hvacesu78 »

I recently came across a scanner board thread which indicated a custom line radio for NYC PD. Model type was stated to be "SSE5000".

Could this be confused w/ the XTS5000 ? Or is there a new custom line to be introduced?

Just wondering.
Thanks !

John
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

Nope, do a search on this board it's on here.
hvacesu78

Post by hvacesu78 »

Ahh yes,
got it thank you.
John
Julian

Post by Julian »

Damn, would I like to get my hands on one of those...
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I...-

"Yesstirdaye I cuddn't spell teknishion, and now I is won!"

"800MHZ sucks range is a joke
UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Anyone have any more info: specs/price on one of those? Can one be bought from M or would this radio be sold to NYPD only? Also, anyone know if this is a digital radio? I don`t believe NYPD uses or has plans to go digital..........John
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

I just wonder if "having one" without knowing if its real specialized or has proprietary: (Parts) (Accesories) (Signalling) would be wise. Might not be able to use it however you would plan to. I think over time, specifications will be leaked or whatever and we fill find out what they do. Besides, carrying around one of those in New York would probably draw attention in some unpleasant ways.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Ever actually been to NY? trust me, the last thing they would ever care about is what kind of radio you were carrying :wink:
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I would guess its probably nothing more than an Astro Saber I chassis with updated firmware.

I doubt there is anything proprietary to it other than the logo on the front. Oh and its probably low power 2w or less.

Yes its a digital radio and FDNY and NYPD are both looking at LAPD style conventional astro systems on T-band.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
nycfyrman

Post by nycfyrman »

I dont think FDNY will ever go digital trunked like they said. We cant get guys to talk one at a time now on nadie talkies let alone on the radios in the rig!
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

It is actually a new radio in a SABER case, since there have been so many complaints. The new radio should come out in a few new flavors with display and it had a lot of RAM in it. An alternative to the XTS5000 yes, maybe even a replacment. LOL
Stan Glass

Government & Entertainment Division Manager (Kenwood)
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Any word on if they are going to keep it in the Saber case, or shove it into a XTS case?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Its difficult to tell from the picture, but it doesn`t appear to be a standard AS1 case- almost looks as if it might have a top mount display? I would imagine moto would keep this case or why would they have gone through the trouble of retooling it to fit the guts of another radio. --John
mike m

Post by mike m »

This was talked over about a month ago in another thread. Since NYPD had lots of saber accessories,and I mean lots of em, they didn't want to buy new XTS hts and new accesories so they had Motorola re-do the XTS5 K in the old analog saber case. Story I heard is it is only available to NYPD and not an OEM radio.

M
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

007 wrote:Any word on if they are going to keep it in the Saber case, or shove it into a XTS case?
It already is an XTS5000 shoved into a Saber case, and renamed SSE5000. So no, it won't go back the other way...

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”