Boring Green on Display

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dale Earnhardt

Boring Green on Display

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

Ok, soo has anybody gone crazy yet and went ahead got an extra display board and put Indiglo Blue before instead of the plain green????

not sure if your able to do it though, seems like you could if your good a soldering....
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

As far as I know the illumination is two LEDs and not an EL backlight. So it should be simple to change the color to anything in the rainbow.

I would change mine to red to preserve night vision - better for surveilance work. Blue would be my second choice :D
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

Well I guess if display board were cheap, you could just solder on diffrent color on each and just change em out on your mood for the night lol.....
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

"I guess if display board were cheap"

hahahahahah

That'll be the day.

-Josh
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

lol yeahhh no kidding......
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

$255.85 from Motorola.

Just bought one.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Dale Earnhardt wrote:Well I guess if display board were cheap, you could just solder on diffrent color on each and just change em out on your mood for the night lol.....
Why not use multicolour LEDs together with some control unit? Then you can adjust the colour according to your mood between all possible colours by simply mixing them.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I have thought about seeing if I could get one of the people I know who are good at surface mount stuff (e.g. the people who mod cell phones all day) to change the backlight one one of my keypads for grins.

Would make them rather unique!

-Alex
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

There was supposedly a special version of the XTS3000 Model III UHF R1 for the Sydney 2000 Olympics in Samsung branding that had a blue backlight.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Fifteen years ago, I put red backlight LEDs into the display of a Saber III.

These days, I'd be tempted to do anything regarding changing LED
backlights, including maybe using those wacky ones that flash all colors
in sequence or at random.

Elroy
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

wow, this post is still going after so many months or a year ago? lol

Yeahh, just put the LED that changes color.. those would work good
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Found this on those Olympic Radios:
http://www.geocities.com/bennoc_99/stagecrew.html

The Olympic radio system was a trunking system. They used Motorola XTS3000 Trunking radios. These radios, however, were tagged to be Samsung radios, as Motorola was not a games sponsor but Samsung was. They operated on 434MHz.
Thanks to Dave VK2GZ for that information.
No pictures though.

-Mike
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Yep.

Most of them were ordinary UHF low XTS3000s, with Samsung tags stuck over the top of the Motorola tags, and a plain black vinyl sticker over the /\/\ logo embossed in the battery, speaker mic etc. They may or may not have also been programmed with SP RSS.

The ex-Olympic radios I've used while in the NSW State Emergency Service (complete with SORN tags and the occasional Samsung sticker) all had ordinary green backlights, but I have heard rumours of blue ones from a couple of independent sources. Never seen one for myself though.
mike m

Post by mike m »

I put the indigo blue ones in one of my XTS3000 but I didn't like it so I changed them to red which looks really nice on the 3000 display.

I put the blues in my SABER III and it looks nice on the smaller SABER display much better than when the blues were used on my XTS.

Mike
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

pictures are worth a thousand words......
Microwave Mike

Back Lites

Post by Microwave Mike »

I have seen RED back lights on a System MRK. The owner replaced the green surface mount leds with red ones.
The back, or side, lights used on the XTS are easy to change out. Just pick
your color and don't go over the current limit of the factory originals.
Also, the package should be the same so they fit where the original leds were.

mm
mike m

Post by mike m »

I sent Dale an e-mail about my XTS3000 with the red display backlighting, how do I attach photos here so everyone else can see it ? I don't have a way to host the photos so if anyone wants to see them they can send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send the photos.

Mike
mike m

Post by mike m »

Also the XTS series backlight LEDs are a dual packaged 3 leaded white case rectangular arrangement kind of looking like a mini light bar, that I haven't found a source for as of yet but with care 2 single SMT LED's can be placed in the small recessed slots of the original and wired in to the LCD board.

Mike
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

To host your photos:

http://www.imageshack.ws
mike m

Post by mike m »

OK here are the direct links, I hope this works

my stock FPP xts5k aside the red display XTS3000
http://img122.echo.cx/img122/6077/mvc004f5qs.jpg

closeup of the red display xts3k
http://img122.echo.cx/img122/8155/mvc005f1lo.jpg

closeup of the fpp xts5k
http://img122.echo.cx/img122/7528/mvc006f5xq.jpg

When I find more time I plan on changing the XTS5k display.

Also I don't have my blue and red LCD sabers with me at this time but I can get them later after lunch and post them.

Mike
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

mike m wrote:OK here are the direct links, I hope this works

closeup of the fpp xts5k
http://img122.echo.cx/img122/7528/mvc006f5xq.jpg

Mike
Did I miss something here?! The XTS5k is field programmable??! I guess this is a special feature, depending on the flash code? Or how else is this done?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the XTS are not so common here in good old europe :-)
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
mike m

Post by mike m »

Only for governement users or those who deal with the feds as I do. It's not my radio per say, way too pricey for my blood, it's my lab/work radio.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Yes, it is true, but only on special "government" flashes.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
mike m

Post by mike m »

Here are my sabers

Blue saber display backlighting
http://img171.echo.cx/img171/8179/mvc002f4ks.jpg

Red saber display backlighting
http://img171.echo.cx/img171/8840/mvc004f1pi.jpg

The blue is ok for viewing at night but it is very very hard to get a decent pix with a digital camera, as you can see the red is nice and easy to shoot overall.

I brought the BLUE drive up about 15 mA over the stock values for a green backlight on the SABER display board and it is still very hard to get a good picture of it. I didn't have to change anything in the drive circutry for the RED backlighting.

Mike
slm1964

Nice work!

Post by slm1964 »

Nice work on the Blue/Red LED displays.

Would you be willing to share the part numbers / sources of the LEDS you used as replacements? This looks like a fun project!!
Elroy Jetson

Re: Boring Green on Display

Post by Elroy Jetson »

How's this for "Not boring"? :D

Got the LEDs off of an ebay seller..from China. It worked out to 25 each, red, green, blue, and yellow, size 1206, for about 12 bucks or so, delivered. Not bad.

For this radio, 0805 size would actually be correct but I was able to make the 1206 size ones work. I actually needed a few known size
samples in hand before I was sure. Now that I've done that, I won't be ordering the wrong ones next time.

You need good soldering skills to handle 1206 package sizes. Better skills for 0805s. 3020s are relatively easy.

Quick trick: Clean the solder pads with solder wick first. Then tin ONE pad. Place the LED over it, apply gentle but firm downward
pressure on the LED, tap the tinned pad side with the soldering iron, and the LED settles right down. Then a quick tap with the soldering
iron and a very small bit of solder (use very fine gauge solder) and you're done. Very neat, clean, and professional.

Holding down the part while soldering it is truly the one trick that matters most.

Since THESE LEDs are larger than the designed pads on the display board, I placed them with the radio turned on, and held them in place
and soldered them while they were actually illuminated. Positioning was quite tricky.

It'd have been a lot easier with the right size LEDs.

Elroy
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

thats a HOT radio, elroy.

nice job, 3 thumbs up.
-Jon
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

My first display mod ever was a UHF Saber II that I changed the backlights out on... to red.

This would have been about 1989 or 1990, or maybe '91. Somewhere around there.

So I guess I'm an "early adopter" or something.

Blue LEDs look good but as you noticed, there are output issues.

I think you will find that you can greatly improve the output of the blue LEDs by getting the
edge-emitting (side lighting) version. Kingbright makes them, at the very least. This makes
a lot of difference. I'll be putting four into my 7100IP (shown above) for the LCD backlighting,
once I get them.

The colors of this photo aren't quite like what it looks like in real life. The white you see is
actually yellow. The camera doesn't quite pick it up right. And all of the colors are a bit more
vivid than you seen on your monitor.

Elroy
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

^^ That's totally pimpin. Makes that ugly MACom radio look almost tolerable! :lol:

I'd love to do something similar to a 5000... black case, black sticker, blue LCD backlight, red keys.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

I can see the new showcoming to Spike/MTV: "Pimp My Radio". The next thing that you'll do is put "Swarovski Crystals" around the display and a big "crystal" heart on the battery... :lol:
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

smokeybehr wrote:I can see the new showcoming to Spike/MTV: "Pimp My Radio". The next thing that you'll do is put "Swarovski Crystals" around the display and a big "crystal" heart on the battery... :lol:

funny you should say that, there is a picture of a pinkBABY PHAT XTS5000 floating around, that someone photoshopped.

I cant find it on here or hamsexy though
-Jon
akardam

Post by akardam »

Courtesy of mikegilbert
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Outstanding.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”