XTL2500 and new XTL5000 control head

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

XTL2500 and new XTL5000 control head

Post by radioinstl »

Features on new "O" control heads for XTL 5000
New optimum user interface with font size and shape enhancements
Bitmapped display space and icons (Flexibility and Foreign languages)
Alphanumeric Text Messaging capabilities
Common user interface with portables
Digital Audio transport (CAN Protocol) in remote mount
Increased noise immunity (Better Audio)
Thinner remote mount cable
Intercom from control head to control head
Easier integration (multiple bricks, multiple heads)
Audio Storage
Individual Audio Control in multiple control head configuration
USB Slave and Host capabilities at the control head for:
GPS
Fingerprint readers
Cameras
Keyboards
PC’s
"O3" HHCH
O7 Head
O7 Mic
O9 Head
XTL 2500 also head can be used on MCS 2000
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

M talked about releasing some of those heads, MTUG users got a firsthand look, most thought that they were to "busy", last I heard, M had scrapped the idea of changing to them.

SG
Last edited by spectragod on Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by medic4145 »

From what I have read and been informed from my local M corp. reps is that the plan is to go ahead with them, however, it has also been rumored that the ASTRO style contorl head would still be available as an option instead of the new style for a period of time.
The only radio is a Motorola Radio!!
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

They will be avail this summer
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

They look like cheap a$$ ham radio junk to me...
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

buttons are too small

Why put those silly rocker style circle buttons that cellphones use? WHY?

W9 head looks just like the kenwood ham rig with the APRS option.

UGLY.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Agreed. Neat looking, but let's be honest -- public safety needs an easy to use radio, not a toy. Unless Moto is planning on selling training too.
xmo

Post by xmo »

They do sell training - It used to be that you had to pay them to put on training for your agency. This type of training was usually done in response to bid requirements.

Now they have a new offering - Powerpoint packages for the latest public safety radios such as the XTS5000 and the current W3/W4/W5/W7W9 heads.

It is very well done and even has audio to show your students the sounds the radio makes for various events. The package provides you with the original slides and is intended for you to be able to customize to your application - in other words insert your agency name, your talkgroup & channel names, call lists, what buttons are programmed with which features, etc.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I like the looks and capabilities/flexibilities of the new W9 head. Think of all the stuff one could display on that head in an eBay ad! Let's face it, vacuum fluorescent has been around for 25+ years. It's time for an upgrade. Also, LCD allows for a lot more information display than the extremely limited vacuum fluorsecent. Today's new cops have grown up on cell phones, PC's and video games. They can definitely handle a few extra buttons on the W9. The old timers who can't learn the new buttons are probably close to retirement. If you think the new W9 has too many buttons, you're probably an Old Fart, and this new head ain't your father's Oldsmobile.

larry
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

I don't think it has too many buttons, I just think it looks like crap. It looks cheap, like the knobs will break off within a month of use.

Looks can be deceiving though, so I'd have to try it out.
Scott
KE4FHH
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

guys, don't base opinions on pictures.

i remember the very early MCS 2k head pics

oooooh boy - "TOY" "POS" "TONKA"

turned out to be one of the better heads ever put on a 2way as far as flexibility and the quality of the LCD dislay (plus the amount of information available, especially on M3 heads)

give it time - and let them get into the field before you start popping off about them.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I agree. The real thing is never as good looking nor as flexible, etc. as the picture. If the actual production W9 is even half as good as the picture, it will be awesome. Can't hardly wait!
thomasm9

Post by thomasm9 »

Unless Motorola change it's mind recently they are going to continue to use the existing control head models. They refer to it as a "legacy" product so existing users will be able to continue using existing Spectra accessories with them and still have the look and feel of the Spectra.
Currently it is available in the 700-800 mHz. only.
Tom Moran
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

ASTROMODAT wrote:I agree. The real thing is never as good looking nor as flexible, etc. as the picture. If the actual production W9 is even half as good as the picture, it will be awesome. Can't hardly wait!
Damn Larry, what a fanboy. Can Motorola do any wrong in your eyes? :evil:
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Motorola needs to improve the data speed of their IVD system. 19.2 is too slow. We'd also like to see performance improvements in their server to RNC3000 to DIU3000 interface, which they are now working on a major uplift. We'll see how it turns out. Those are our biggest issues right now.

However, when I look at the 3 off-shore boys and their complete and total lack of ANY P25 gear, it's pathetic when compared to what Motorola has had on the market since ASTRO in 1993. Therefore, I won't bite the hand that so ably supports my business needs, and allows me to successfully compete for contracts.

larry
apco25

Post by apco25 »

I think the MCS2000 heads would have been a far better choice to port to the xtl than anything new.

I do agree VFD is long over due for replacement.

So its a W9, anyone notice it doesn't have a keypad? I guess manual dialing or call list entry is no longer needed.

oh wait, I know what they want you to do... use that cell phone rocker button to scroll through all the digits on the fly.....

yeah sure. ok great idea.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

LCD Touch Screen! Too bad they didn't do that. I strongly suspect that for folks needing DTMF and/or ASTRO Data 12 capabilities, you will have an option for a mic with a keypad. I assume Data 18 packets will also continue to be available.

larry
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Then what's the point of a 9 series head if you need to use a keypad mic?

Seems like a step backwards.

Public Safety users want one touch buttons to access a feature, not scrolling through 50 menus.

The new heads look like a car stereo junkie designed them.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

jeez, looks too gaudy like some thugged out car stereo faceplates.
the MCS control heads were logical, easy to operate. on the W9 the lack of a keypad is perplexing. the HHCH looks like a Nextel phone...the learning curve is too much. public safety doesn't need a Kenwood D700 style control head. even the "offshore" boys as Larry puts it know better than this, a full feature control head for a Kenwood 90 series or Vertex VX4000 is much more easy to use. No menu systems or complex button arrangements here. and I can only imagine what outrageous prices Ma M will ask for these ghetto fabulous "gems"?

where have all the Galvin's gone?
apco25

Post by apco25 »

I wonder if they'll release it in a "Baby PHAT" pink version
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I assume the reason for the large W9 LCD display is to accomodate multiple lines of information, and perhaps with large characters for the older cops. Maybe it will read out Data 18 packets? Perhaps the W9 will support AVL display features (with a radio firmware and CPS uplifts). Who knows... I would also assume that the CPS will need to be uplifted to accomodate any increased alphanumeric capabilities for this new W9 head.

Seems like a lot of folks keep comparing the W9 to the old Kenwood D700 head. I previously owned several D700's (until I sold them over a year ago on eBay), and while Kenwood's head was the best of the Big 3 rice rocket boys, it was much smaller than what is depicted in these photos of the W9. The W9 looks 10 times better to me than the D700 head, starting with the fact that the W9 appears to have a heck of a lot more display area than the D700.

larry
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I'd like to see the warmup time not to ghost the image on the larger LCD on those really cold days.

These have been in the works for over a year now. I got the preproduction pics over a year ago.

Motorola is just beginning to offer the "one radio does all" products with the XTL/XTS5k line and up. Some of the non-pricebook listed features and intergration stuff they are coming up with is pretty cool.

Of course, it all needs the IP based network/radio system, but it looks to be pretty neat. In fact, when they were first testing this stuff out, they were running into IP based problems that most computers do with viruis, but apparently that has all been worked out.

I can see the XTL powering up now with a mpeg of a fat guy dancing on the W9 screen... :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
apco25

Post by apco25 »

While we're on the subject of ugly heads...

I still think lack of a normal 3X5 keypad is a problem. Regardless of DTMF or Data 12 or 18 packets, just entering info into the CALL LIST would be annoying without a proper keypad.

Why would anyone want a keypad mic when the head is this huge do all piece of technology?

what about the MACOM open sky mobile?

Now that's a ugly and weird looking control.

The HHCH looks just like a Nextel I1000... odd
jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

You firefighters out there will probably agree, bouncing down the road at 0300hrs and you are told to switch to Tac B1. You need easy to see buttons and a simple layout. This isn't being an old fart, just practical.

Technology is great. I have nothing against it and if the radio was in my POV these heads would be just fine.

For public safety in emergency vehicles... Larger buttons, easy to read display, simple button layout. All I ever need to use is Zone (rarely ever changed), Channel, Volume, Home (7 buttons max).
John B
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

While the new 05 (W7) LCD heads have been available for a short while now, the large 10 (W9) production head is still quite a ways out in time before we will be able to order it.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

apco25 wrote:While we're on the subject of ugly heads...

I still think lack of a normal 3X5 keypad is a problem. Regardless of DTMF or Data 12 or 18 packets, just entering info into the CALL LIST would be annoying without a proper keypad.

Why would anyone want a keypad mic when the head is this huge do all piece of technology?

what about the MACOM open sky mobile?

Now that's a ugly and weird looking control.

The HHCH looks just like a Nextel I1000... odd

It does look like an i1000

I bet if you glued an i1000 to an old spectra cord and threw it on a remote body you could get $6000 out of it on flea bay.

I can see it now, " as is, no way to test"
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

mancow wrote:I bet if you glued an i1000 to an old spectra cord and threw it on a remote body you could get $6000 out of it on flea bay.

I can see it now, " as is, no way to test"
You forgot the ever so popular, "As per Ebay rules, all electronic equipment sold as is."

Speaking of the new heads, how do people like the "O5" since they're out in use now? Do they have that "cheap" cell-phone feel to them? Do the pictures above do them justice? I haven't seen an actual one - yet.
Scott
KE4FHH
harrisjt2000
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by harrisjt2000 »

we got some XTL2500 radios for our moble command center with these new heads and they are nice, the pictures do not do them justice its got some nice features to it, and in the original post about them it says the xtl2500 head could work in a mcs2000 if so id like to get one, any one know if this is true or not? one thing that is cool is you get to choose the backlight color on the control head for instance we have red for the 800 system green for the vhf radio orange for the uhf if any one could tell me if this head works on the mcs2000 please let me know
Last edited by harrisjt2000 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Can you post some photo's of these screens in action?
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
harrisjt2000
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

zx

Post by harrisjt2000 »

Yeah, ill take some monday morning
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I saw the new VSP "Stars" radio about a month ago with the O7? head. Def is a nice looking head.

I remember there was a pic of it on RR.com some time ago too, but I think those disappeared
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

I have to agree, we installed some in a command van and i must say they are SWEET

ive got some pics on my celly, ill get them out.
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

Keep the flames to yourself.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

could someone post the control head part numbers...

and even more importantly -

the "kit" numbers for converting an XTL from the old style to the new?

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

There's a reasonable picture of the O5 dashmount in a control station configuration in the accessories catalog on page 43 (PDF page 45):

http://www.motorola.com/governmentanden ... ITIER2.pdf

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”