What antenna is correct for UHF Astro Saber for 440 coverage

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

What antenna is correct for UHF Astro Saber for 440 coverage

Post by jmr061 »

What antenna is the proper one for use on astro saber uhf for the 440 range? If someone has the antenna chart for the astro saber perhaps they could let me know.

Thanks

Jason
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Per M: 8505241U05
Heliflex Antenna, UHF Band, Whip Antenna 403-520 MHz

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
LAC-OPS
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 M3, APX7000 R2+V, XTL5

Post by LAC-OPS »

I had heard that the standard Motorola whip antenna that ships with UHF portables actually resonates best around 499-502Mhz, and performs quite poorly below 465 even though that's the only one they ship with the radio and it is the proper one per the catalogs/spec sheets. I was also told that a lot of people were using an aftermarket whip for the lower splits.

I was given one but it doesn't have any markings and I just can't remember what brand it is. The bag it came in DID say UHF 430-500 though..
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I tried a few aftermarket whips on our XTS3000s to hopefully improve performance in fringe areas (we're around 407 tx/416 rx), just for the hell of it, but I honestly couldn't tell any difference between /\/\'s OEM antenna and any of the aftermarket jobs.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”