unable to read astro saber 2 and astro spectra with cps

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

unable to read astro saber 2 and astro spectra with cps

Post by sglass »

dig this

I can read both radios with astro tuner, but I get a "communications with radio failed" when I try to read them with cps.

Radios are:

astro saber 2 uhf
astro spectra high power vhf

Computer is dell d600
win xp sp2

using astro saber and xts300 cps 4.01.04
and astro spectra cps 4.01.04

Any thoughts on this?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Dunno, but I don't think it's your hardware... I'm using the exact same machine (Latitude D600, 1.7, 2GB/80GB) with XPSP2 and can read/write such radios with no difficulties.

Are the cables known-good? *maybe* something strange there?
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

tvsjr wrote:Dunno, but I don't think it's your hardware... I'm using the exact same machine (Latitude D600, 1.7, 2GB/80GB) with XPSP2 and can read/write such radios with no difficulties.

Are the cables known-good? *maybe* something strange there?
cables read fine with dos 9.05

what makes it more confusing I can bring up the Astro radio tuner and read xts's, as's, and astro spectras
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Hmm, tried a full software reinstall? That's strange.
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

yup

tried remving all cps apps and reinstalling
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Are you using a clone RIB? I recall someone posting the CPS was less 'forgiving' than the DOS RSS with clone RIBs.

Otherwise, have you tried going into 'file' and choosing 'read radio'...as opposed to clicking the 'read radio' icon? Going through the file will allow you to choose your COM port...clicking the icon will default it to whatever the program decided was 'correct' upon install. The tuner software might've defaulted correctly.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

Seth, I had a similar problem. A VHF AS II would read 1 out of 5 times or so with CPS however a 800 XTS read fine. I never did figure it out.

Craig
Lynnolium

Post by Lynnolium »

I am having the same trouble. I can read and write with v 3.00.00 cps but when I try to load 4.00.01 I can't read the radio and I get error messages. When I attempt to read an archive made with 3.00.00 I get a 'Not Supported' error. These are the only versions of CPS I have.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Lynnolium wrote:I am having the same trouble. I can read and write with v 3.00.00 cps but when I try to load 4.00.01 I can't read the radio and I get error messages. When I attempt to read an archive made with 3.00.00 I get a 'Not Supported' error. These are the only versions of CPS I have.
Are you sure the version 4.00.01 you have isn't for Astro25 radios? The reason I ask, the only CD with version 4.00.01 I've seen was the RVN4181L for Astro25 Portables. The Astro Saber/XTS3000 CPS never had that revision, IIRC. It would explain your 'not supported' error.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Lynnolium

Post by Lynnolium »

BINGO it is for astro 25. oh well time to update software. thanks.
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

wavetar wrote:Are you using a clone RIB? I recall someone posting the CPS was less 'forgiving' than the DOS RSS with clone RIBs.

Otherwise, have you tried going into 'file' and choosing 'read radio'...as opposed to clicking the 'read radio' icon? Going through the file will allow you to choose your COM port...clicking the icon will default it to whatever the program decided was 'correct' upon install. The tuner software might've defaulted correctly.

Todd
real moto rib Todd

I've tried reading it from "file" within the sftware too
amds

Post by amds »

Seth:

Try using a pencil eraser and rubbing the contacts on the back of the digital saber. Even if they look clean/gold, I'm betting there's a build-up on the contacts.

In the event that doesn't cure the problem, review your com-port speed settings on the windows machine. Play with the speed of the port. Try 9600, 115200, etc.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Seth, I had the same problem recently. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for your problem.

My work laptop is an Itronix Gobook2. It's a milspec laptop that replaced the Panasonic not-so-Toughbooks we were issued. Recently the Gobook went in for service and I was issued a Gobook3.

I could not get the Gobook3 to read my radio at all. The radio would reset about halfway through the read. I replaced the battery in my true blue Motorola RIB and made sure the battery was fresh on the saber. This was the exact same setup as what I was using on the Gobook2. Both Gobooks are running WindozeXP and have the same software setup.

My Gobook2 has returned from service and once again I can read and write my radio. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to check what the spec's were on the Gobook3 to compare them with what's on the 2.

So it would appear that the CPS is somewhat computer dependant. Since I don't have the Gobook3 in my possession it was somewhat pointless to open a case with Motorola.
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

hmm

I'll snag a usb to serial adaptor for the tablet and see if that works. I think I have one at work...

Seth
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Try loosening or tightening the spanner nuts on the bottom of the radio. I saw a post about this a few eeks back. You may even pull the radio out and re-seat it. Apparently, the radio "guts" were not making contact with the outer case and so it gave them errors when they read the radio.

BTW, I never had any luck with the USB to serial thing with CPS. I tried several different ones and ended up getting a serial card for the desktop and the laptop.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

One of the problems with my original laptop was the serial port. I purchased a Rat Shack adaptor and it worked fine with Astro Saber CPS.

Now that the main board has been replaced, the serial port works just fine with CPS.

Definitely not a radio or programming hardware problem. Identical setups were used for both.

Either the CPS didn't like the loaner laptop or something was amiss with the serial port. Didn't try the usb->serial adaptor on it though.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

If the USB/Serial adapter worked before on another computer, then likely it is a driver problem.
Scott
KE4FHH
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

The usb->serial adaptor has nothing to do with the problem.

When the serial port on the first computer quit working, I purchased the adaptor as a work around. CPS worked fine with the serial port before it blew and with the adaptor.

When I received the loaner computer, CPS would only partially read my radio before choking. This was using the serial port. Since I would be getting my original computer back shortly, I did not install the drivers for the adaptor and at no time did I ever try using the adaptor.

Once my original computer was returned (with the main board replaced), I was able to read/write the Saber fine.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

GOTCHA, I misunderstood.
Scott
KE4FHH
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

UPDATE

tried a radioshack usb to serial adaptor today

was able to read my uhf xts3k just fine

freakin cool!

laptop was toshiba portege m200
adaptor is radio shack 6-ft usb to serial cable p# 26-183

read it using com4 (had to go to file - read radio then choose com 4 it wanted to default to com 3)

Now initialy the radio went open squelch for about 15 seconds then it read.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”