XTS 3K encryption?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rayjk110
Banned

XTS 3K encryption?

Post by Rayjk110 »

Hello. I have a VHF XTS3000, with as far as I know, no modules installed for encryption. When I TX on this one frequency, (150.010, which was in the radio when I received it) it makes the short beep noise when before I tx (Stating that I am tx'ing 'clear') but the audio on the scanner sounds like a trunking control channel.

It sounds 'basically' like this:
http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/astro-imbe.wav

What could it be?

(Unfortunately I do not have the CPS for this radio, so I cannot read it to tell)
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: XTS 3K encryption?

Post by n7maq »

Rayjk110 wrote:Hello. I have a VHF XTS3000, with as far as I know, no modules installed for encryption. When I TX on this one frequency, (150.010, which was in the radio when I received it) it makes the short beep noise when before I tx (Stating that I am tx'ing 'clear') but the audio on the scanner sounds like a trunking control channel.
It sounds like it is programmed for encryption, and has lost it's key, or the board is gone. That is the beep (i think), now for the TX signal, it sounds like it is programmed to TX in Astro. No problems, just programming.

Jim
Zap
Batboard $upporter

Post by Zap »

Put it into service mode and watch the display.
The third button from the top has the two dots, when you turn the radio on, press that 5 times.
You will see:

SERVICE
R07.xx.xx
DSPN08.xx.xx
EMC R0x.xx (if you have encryption)
KG1 AES-256 (if you have encryption)
KG2 DES-OFB (if you have encryption)
KG3 DES-XL (if you have encryption)
Model #
Serial #
1 MEG
FLSHCD
Flashcode (part-1)
Flashcode (Part-2)
RF TEST

IF KG1, KG2, KG3 all indicate none, what you are hearing may be IMBE.
A failed KEY would give you BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-..... with the message KEY-FAIL but you will not be allowed to transmit.
If you don't like the beep before transmit, and if your menu has "MUTE", select that and turn tones "OFF".
It also disables transmitting the "evacuation" warble if it's off.

Z
Last edited by Zap on Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akardam

Post by akardam »

If on powerup the unit does not throw any error codes, it's unlikely that it has a failed encryption board. Chances are what you are hearing is indeed an Astro mode that has pre-MDC ID with the sidetone turned on. You wouldn't hear the MDC burst on your scanner, if your scanner can't pick up digital, because the burst is sent over the digital signal as well.
Zap
Batboard $upporter

Post by Zap »

Could also be "software encryption" depending on your flash. I don't think IMBE flashed radios can do "software encryption".
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Well, for one thing it's a model 1.

2: On power-up, I get two tones. A BEEP, then a BOOP. Which I was told in another thread that that means the module is gone.

3: It has the PTT Beep on every channel, all of them with no MDC (Excpet a few MURS....but even then its the de-key burst)

If I try and switch the switch under the ch knob to secure and TX, i get a low pitched boop. Same goes for this wierd channel. As I stated before, I have no CPS to read the radio. I mean I have cables and rib and all that came with the radio, just no darn CPS, so I'm not even aware of the flashcode.
Zap
Batboard $upporter

Post by Zap »

From the manual, Section: ALERT TONES

Section: A Group of Medium Pitched Tones

i) FAILSOFT.........When system fails
ii) Automatic Call Back...when voice channel is avail from prev. request
iii) Talk Permit....Upon fressing PTT;
iv) Dispatcher interupter...
v) Keyfail...when an encryption key has been lost
vi) Consol Ack.....
vii) Received individual call...

----------
Section: Short Medium Pitched Tone

i) Radio self-test pass
ii) Clear voice...at the begining of a non-coded transmission
iii) Priority Channel Received
iv) Emergency Alarm Entry
v) Central Echo...when the central controller has received a request from a radio

---------

Section: Short low-pitched tone
i) Radio self-test failed
ii) No ACK Received
iii) Reject... when an unauthorized request is made; also like pressing the wrong button, etc.
iv) TOT warning... four seconds before time out

These would be your choices.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”