XTL 2500 Programming Issue

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nickburns

XTL 2500 Programming Issue

Post by nickburns »

Just got in some XTL 2500's and they can't be read with the speaker mic programming cable with CPS 6 or 7 (These are remote heads). Anybody else run into this issue or hear of it. /\/\ hasnt heard of it either and is forwarding it to engineering.

Thanks.
Jason

programming

Post by Jason »

Speaker Mic programming cable? What part # is your cable. USB or Serial?

I have had much better luck w/ the serial db9 cables than the USB
(USB is much faster, tho)
nickburns

Serial

Post by nickburns »

It's the serial verision. HKN6139 sound right? I dont have it in front of me at the moment. Its a radio issue though. /\/\ has determined that already.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Must be somthing to do with the remote mount configuration. Ive not yet seen a 2500 in remote config, so I would bet on that.

If you have the hardware to convert to dash config, I would bet it will read/write fine.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

We have a few VHF and UHF trunk mount radios. The cable will work from the control head mic jack or the connector on the front of the radio.

The radios we have are the mid power units.
KE4NYVJR
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu

Post by KE4NYVJR »

If they are remote heads, look on the front of the main unit and you should see a rubber "plug" in the top left corner. Pull that out and you will find a second "mic jacK". This got me the first time. We were trying to program through the mic jack on the remote head. After a call to Moto we were informed there was a second "programming" jack on the face that was placed on the main unit in place of the head. (panel with the DB25s)
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Are you sure? That is the case on the XTL5000's but I dont remember seeing one on the XTL2500's. I'll have to go back and look but thanks for the tip.

J
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

We have been using the cable part# A3-HKN6183A ( PC RS232--> XTL2500 Head Mic Conn) and this has been working just fine with CPS 6 & 7.
fineshot1
NJ USA
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Same cable we are using, just no dice with CPS 6 or 7.

J
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

After talking with engineering, it could possibly be a bad cable. They have a replica radio with same HOST, DSP, and CH Firmware with no issues. Never had one before but there is a first time for everything. Going to order a replacement and see if that does the trick.

J
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Well, it was the cable. A new one fixed the issue. Strange but true....Thanks to all who offered assistance.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”