SSE 5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

SSE 5000

Post by batdude »

anyone have a nice high res pic of one of these they would be willing to share?

i'd prefer one of both the front / rear of the radio

and one of the top (where the display is)

thanks

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
akardam

Post by akardam »

The ones in these PDF's don't cut it I take it?

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=35725
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Doug-

Check Shaun's (r0f) site at: p25.ca

About midway down there's a list of Most Astro portables in blue and if you click on them it gives you a .pdf sheet of them.

The SSE 5000 is one of them.

Hope that helps
Tango

Post by Tango »

FYI !!!
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Wow.. I want one! That's a slick radio!
Jake
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

I agree, definitely would love to get a hold of one.

Anybody have a side-by-side with an astro saber?

-Fuel
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

It's a shame that Motorola is only marketing this radio to NYPD. I would think that a VHF 136-174 version would be VERY popular in the rail industry market with their move to P25 systems.
Jake
Microwave Mike

Gad!!! another small market custom radio $$$$!!!!

Post by Microwave Mike »

I can't wait for SOMEONE to build a 700 Mhz to 4.8 Ghz radio
That will do ANY modulation format and ANY system.
All cel-phone formats and all trunking systems.
Software defined radio, priced like the latest Cel-phones,
$ 500-600 each. Crank them out like FRS radios..
That would stick a fork in Moto and Ma/com.

Come on you Chicoms, use your newly graduated EEs
All 150,000 each year to build this one.

$ 3000 or more for a hand held radio is NUTS.

I wonder if this SSE-5000 will go the way of the Saber Si?

I rant

mm
libuff

Post by libuff »

These radios were involved in a field trial against the Vertex VX-537. Every PO i speak to prefers the Vertex over this radio. They cite audio quality problems as compared to the Vertex.

never used one myself, can't say for sure...

tho the vertex is my main radio, and quite glad of it..
fubb26

Post by fubb26 »

Every PO i speak to prefers the Vertex over this radio.
where what commands?

we have them in my command ( one of the busier PBBX commands) and they are HATED!!!
1. the volume knobs and channel selector knobs are all breaking and falling off.

2. the covers on the PTT switches fall off all of the time. when they fall off the micro-switch for the PTT is too small to use and the radio has to be taken out of service. hence we have about 25 of them out of service now.

3. when they turned on the MDC on our division, it has caused an annoying horrible side effect. all of the radio's emit a WHINE no matter what the volume is. low, high the damn whine is there and you CAN NOT listen to the radio at a very low level, which is needed in police work sometimes.

4. the A/B switches are not lasting and the radio gets stuck in the wrong channel bank. not a problem if you stay on your division but if you need to go to point-point or a CW channel GUESS WHAT? you wind up what ever channel it is on the B bank.

5. the display's are going bad. and i mean BAD. nothing no display no backlight nothing. and when the display goes bad GUESS WHAT(again) the radio gets stuck on the B bank of channels.

the Precinct ICO who is in charge of radio's has been calling the queens shop for a week trying to get them to take these POS's back.
They cite audio quality problems as compared to the Vertex.
audio problems? i just stated an audio problem with the Vertex, the also have a POP that occurs when the repeater reverse burts.

we have 280 cops in my command and 99% want there 15 year old sabers back.

i used the SSE on a detail in manhattan and the audio on the radio was great . no problems hearing the radio. more durable.
MarkHam2B

Post by MarkHam2B »

Having used both the VX-520 and the SSE5000, my preference is definitely leaning to the SSE, not just because it's a /\/\ product.

The audio output and quality is a joke on the VX-520. In a crowded area without a speaker mic, you may as well guess at what is being said. If you rely on the speaker built into the radio, you would swear you were listening to a bubble pack FRS special. Yes the volume is sort of there, perhaps it might even be higher on a measurement basis than an analog Saber. It is the quality of the audio that is just so grating. When trying to turn the volume down to an very low level, but keeping the radio on, that annoying MDC related whine that fubb was talking about just about gives you away. You may as well not even try to lower the volume, requiring a whole different set of approaches. Similar complaints can be heard among users of the "improved" VX-537.

If there is one annoyance with the SSE5000, at times the transmit audio can get a little garbled. Whether it's an issue with the DSP conversion or a simple AGC setting, it has yet to be resolved. When I used it out in the field two summers ago, I found the audio to match or surpass that of our older Sabers. There is also a heft to the radio that is just lacking in the Vertex unit. The only other oddness I've been seeing is that sometimes the IMPRES batteries get a little forgetful and need some time to "re-learn" their status.

Overall, I like the idea of Vertex making Motorola wake up and realize that even a very conservative organization can open up to a new idea now and then. I'm quite sure that the development of the SSE5000 was in part motivated by this.
- Remember The Twin Towers 02-26-1993 & 09-11-2001.

- Remember Atocha 03-11-2004.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”