Q241 ASTRO Ready (Analog Operation Only)????

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

zulu
What radios do you own?: Alot but, I always want more!

Q241 ASTRO Ready (Analog Operation Only)????

Post by zulu »

I have a radio with Q241 ASTRO Ready (Analog Operation Only) in my flashcode but i am unable to program astro operation into my radio with the CPS any ideas why?
Cheers
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

You answered your own question.

Astro Ready means simply that it is a radio capable of doing IMBE Digital... but is not flashed for IMBE Digital Operation. You have an analog only radio. No way of going digital without an upgrade.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yup Astro Ready isn't a very good term for someone who isn't familiar with the astro series. You will need your dsp changed over to digital and a flash upgrade. Is this a saber, xts or spectra series radio?

Jason
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Like buying a building lot that is "house ready". Does not include the house. It has the support ready (water sewer power), but no house.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Why anyone would buy a radio like that is beyond me. Buying an Astro radio not flashed for IMBE is like buying a Lamborghini without tires.
K8TEK::Tim
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

K8TEK wrote:Why anyone would buy a radio like that is beyond me. Buying an Astro radio not flashed for IMBE is like buying a Lamborghini without tires.
Because the OP probably doesn't know any better, hense why he is asking about it.
xmo

Post by xmo »

"Why anyone would buy a radio like that..."

We do it all the time.

Regional systems usually have many users besides public safety. For systems that are mixed mode, some user agencies want the cheapest radio possible so they start out all analog.

Eventually, analog trunking is going to be gone, so today we tell them not to buy an analog only radio [e.g. MCS2000] but instead by a digital capable radio with the analog only flash.

That makes the price of the digital capable radio comparable to a radio that can't be upgraded. When the system gets upgraded to all digital - all the radios will need update re-flash anyway. That is the time to get IMBE put in those radios.

It's simply a case of being responsible with taxpayer $$$
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

then why does motorola end up with the "astro ready" radios back, and replace them with XTS5000s and XTLs

its a sales guy who make WAY too much more money, and motorola convincing them "oh you COULD reflash it, but that would cost more than if we did this..."
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Astro ready radios generally have all the hardware , just need a new flash.
I've done it with Spectras and 3000 radios
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

uhh yeah i know that

what i was stating is that when have you ever seen an agency actually reflash their fleet? almost never.. motorola would rather sell them new fancy "we be astro already" 5000s, and take their "worthless analog" radios in on trade.

ive heard stories where moto would actually charge LESS to sell a new system and subscriber radios, than to reflash/reprogram the whole fleet.

hense the "astro ready" really means "screwed by moto rep"
zulu

Post by zulu »

Yeah i thought so, any way of telling it to do astro without the upgrade? It's a spectra.
"Say what you mean, Mean what you say."
zulu

Post by zulu »

oh well
Last edited by zulu on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Say what you mean, Mean what you say."
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

K8TEK wrote:Why anyone would buy a radio like that is beyond me. Buying an Astro radio not flashed for IMBE is like buying a Lamborghini without tires.
Why would anyone buy an MTS-2000, for that matter? They still make nice analog radios.

I've got nobody to talk to on ASTRO, so I'd happily buy an analog ASTRO Saber or XTS for a few bucks,rather than paying $1000 for one with ASTRO, seeing as I'd only ever get use that to talk to myself.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”