XTS1500 - Old Development version code plug

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mattgraves

XTS1500 - Old Development version code plug

Post by mattgraves »

I work in emergency services and I am now task with programming 30 XTS1500 handheld radios. I have a tech background, but have have never programmed radios. I need to have them programmed by Tuesday's drill. We are changing to a narrowband frequency Tait repeater. I am using the XTS 2500 = XTS 5000 CPS ver. R02.01.00 and have a ribless cable I aquired from Wiscom. When I attempt to read the radios I get "This codeplug is an old development version code plug. It is not compatable with this release." Am I out of luck? Wrong software? What do I need to do?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Do you know the history of these radios?

Could these have been preproduction demos or the like?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Yeah, I'd question the source as well....

If your using them for public safety - i'd get on the horn with you purchased them from and get some answers....

However, they are now up to Version 8.0 of the CPS for the 5000 series radios, which should program the 1500's no problem AFAIK. I'd recomend talking to Motorola and ensuring that you have the correct version of the software.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

I happen to have a demo xts2500 1.5 that has developmental firmware in it and I have to use Beta CPS for it. When I accidentally read it with standard CPS I get a similiar error message and have to use a certain laptop that has it loaded. A royal pain in the buttsky!
mattgraves

XTS1500

Post by mattgraves »

I work in county Government and these radios were purchased before I arrived. It's my understanding that they were purchased from Motorola. I am sure it was not off ebay or anything like that.

I have taken my XTS1500 to our radio service guy and he has programmed it successfully. The only thing he has mentioned about the software he is using is that it has to be on a computer running Windows 98(won't work with modern system running XP)and sometimes it locks his machine(he uses a desktop)when he tries to write to the radio. He is a great guy, but does not always keep up to date on the latest software revisions.

Since I posted here earlier today, I have been searching the internet for answers. In the few post's I have found answeres range from what you have said here to many having success with updated software.
mattgraves

One more thing.....

Post by mattgraves »

This is really disturbing to me. I posted this question in another forum and this was the answer:

This is my bread & butter... you need to update the firmware in your radios
so that the firmware is as current as the CPS release you are using. NOT the
other way around...

Yes, it means a trip to Motorola for the 30 radios...

Unfortunately I've been in your shoes many times & it really cheeses me off
how Motorola releases firmware upgrades without telling their customers and
not telling them what is in the new firmware. Then you find that you try to
clone a radio that has just visited Motorola with your existing profile only
to find it doesn't work because they've updated the firmware without telling
you...

In your case it sounds like the radios have a very early firmware loaded in
them- it should be worthwhile getting the firmware upgraded to the current
release.....

and then I feel better when I read something on this board like this:

I bought a XTS5000 on eBay

Tried to read the codeplug with my CPS and got the exact same error message.

I called Moto support and explained the issue. He told me the error is pointing to my CPS being older than what was last programmed into the radio. I was using RVN4181E - support told me that the latest release is 'M' and said I needed to buy that - I placed my order and 'voila' - read and wrote to it just fine.

I'm not saying that their aren't engineering samples out there - I'm simply saying you guys need to stop writing off all Astro radios on eBay as bad news. Some are - and some aren't, just like everything else on eBay.

I'm startign to wonder if you guys are steering newbies that don't know any better away from these radios so you can scoop them up yourself cheap.

Back to me. Is this really true? I have to take these radios to Motorola for firmware upgrades????? I would rather buy the software that my radio guy is using which I described above. Now I am really worried. Can I buy a more recent version of the software? What in the world is the right answer?
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

order the current CPS.

your CPS is waaaaay old

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mattgraves

Hate to be paranoid.....

Post by mattgraves »

If I order the new CPS is their a possibility that I might the "Codeplug to New" error that I have seen posted in some of these forums. One cat is still telling me that I MUST update the firmware. I guess sometimes solid anwers are elusive.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

well, it's certainly POSSIBLE.

but not likely.

CPS v2 was released BEFORE the XTS1500.

therefore, my thoughts are that CPS is reporting the codeplug problem based upon not being able to decipher the model # properly.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

I agree with Doug. Upgrade to version 8 CPS (latest) and it will most likely solve your problem. Also I run the version 8 CPS on Windows XP just fine. No Wondoze 98 needed.

Another thing, are these XTS1500 model 1.5 radios (display)? If so, turn on the radio and hit the bottom side button (above PTT) 5 times within 5 seconds to display host and dsp firmware version. I'm willing to guess you probably have either version 6.xx or 7.xx firmware.
mattgraves

Thanks guys

Post by mattgraves »

These radios do not have a display. They were purchased in 2004. I guess I will look into the new software.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Hey Matt,

Does your department have a software subscription agreement with Motorola? If so, then you should be entitled to a free upgrade if you have previously purchased the CPS. Also you can check on MOL under resource center to see if you have access to download the latest version 8 CPS.
hamptonbeach

Re: XTS1500 - Old Development version code plug

Post by hamptonbeach »

I'm the guy that wrote the quoted section about you only needing the current (or at least a later) CPS than what was last used to program the radio.
I've owned Nick radios, Panther radios and the 1234ABC engineering sample radios and have had zero trouble programming any of them.
Firmware upgrades only fix bugs or activate/introduce new features.
Seeing how you'll need the CPS anyway .. get it and try programming the radios before considering firmware upgrades.

Matt, PM me.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

hamptonbeach wrote:I'm the guy that wrote the quoted section about you only needing the current (or at least a later) CPS than what was last used to program the radio.
I've owned Nick radios, Panther radios and the 1234ABC engineering sample radios and have had zero trouble programming any of them.
Firmware upgrades only fix bugs or activate/introduce new features.
Seeing how you'll need the CPS anyway .. get it and try programming the radios before considering firmware upgrades.

Matt, PM me.

You're also the guy who bumped a year old thread..........
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

How u figure, I didn't start this thread - if I bumped up another, it's becasue people keep posting the same nonsense when others ask what the error message means
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

The last post was in August 2006, it is now November 2007. No one was saying anything anymore about this issue.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

I see that now - I didn't look at the date - but it was on the first page of threads for me .... whatever

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”