Anyone have a large group of installed XTL2500's ?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Anyone have a large group of installed XTL2500's ?

Post by chartofmaryland »

Been having alot of problems with these since they were installed. Looking for similar outcomes and any other info.

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

you want to elaborate on that a little?

what kind of problems?

what is your firmware revision?

what system type? trunked or conventional

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

installs

Post by Firebuff66 »

We just did 30 XTL2500 VHFs. Mix of coventional and digital channels and 1 encrypted ch.
No problems yet
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

XTL2500

Low split UHF 380-470

9600 ASTRO CAI single site multi channel

HOST 7.01.01
DSP 7.01.01
SEC-ADP on LEO only

And I cannot remember the rest at this moment. . .

Problems include, radio shutting off on its own and coming back when it feels like it. Power is secure at all points and most of these units are currently programmed for soft power off with the IGN wire complete as well.

There are a few that are in newer model Pierce Dash and Lance which give the most problems on power up. Units are wired to the switched side of the master switch and when the power is turned on, radio powers up, go to crank and see-ya radio. It does not even try to power back up once vehicle is running. Changing the start up procedure is out due to SOP's for engineers.

Moving on, 2002 Chevy Impala's, I have three that do not want to work with the XTL. One thing that is being tried is to set the radio to "REQUIRED" instead of soft power. But even on some of those set for this function it still does not complete its power cycle when everything is stable in the power to the radio. The last straw / last input from Meximoto was the use of a diode on the IGN wire hopefully killing any power bias on the IGN line keeping the all digital logic power curcuit from blowing chunks on power cycle.

These radio's are acting like they were only supposed to be used with a bench top Linear power supply, and are not able to handle changing electrical configurations found in vehicles all of different makes and model that cannot supply a constant 13.8 at every minute of their operation.

Any other input would be appreciated

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
2wayguy
Batboard $upporter

XTL

Post by 2wayguy »

Not that it helps to solve the problem BUT I have an XTL2500 dashmount 800mhz radio on a digital smartzone system that is doing the exact same thing you are talking about in a Pierce firetruck. Radio comes on fine when you switch the master on, crank the engine and radio goes off only to come back on if you hit the power button. Changed batteries and alternator in truck, no change in problem. Pain in the A#$%%$^... The CDM and Maxtrac also in the truck work fine.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

we've got over 1100 installed in police, fire, and ems vehicles. We do not see the problem. Most are still version 6.00 firmware but are being upgraded to version 8.00.01.

Ours are UHF hi split with most being dash mount (we have about 25 rear mounts which were field converted).

Recheck the install manual. Double check the power wiring for the options connector. We had an issue with a rear mount having some weird power on/power off issues which was traced down to the installer not correctly connecting the wires (battery/ignition).

Also, call Motorola and open up a GCC case so they can assist.

George
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

Never got one complaint with the CDM or Maxtrac as well. The customer came from Low band with no problems what so ever; so its hard to make ourselves at our shop look reputable when all we can do is install radio's that do not work, AT ALL, to the customers satisfaction. Now with the others in the county we are serving there are some who don't have many issues at all with the product. Either they are finding a way to just use them or don't have time to complain, I don't know, but I don't like it when there are 350 mobiles and only 30 have contiuous problems. Seems to me they should all have problems, but the radio's aren't talking.

There, for the record, is no one yet that I have heard of from moto with any input that has changed the status of our current problems. From what I have heard, 4 seperate cases were opened with moto on all of these issues. None have been productive in really any way. It's been a trial and error for us to make time to find a fix.

CoM
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Well you say "they don't talk" yet your original post says it was problems with them turning on and off randomly.

Is this a trunking system by chance? There is a PSB for intermittent out of range when trying to transmit in areas where signal is marginal. That is why our 1100+ are being upgraded.

Call you CSM and escalate the cases. Ask that an FTR be assigned and show them how to replicate the problem, or show them a problem unit.

what, other than the power issues, are the problems you are having? Also a short description of the system would help.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter

My appologies, I was trying to keep alittle humor in this subject as it has been causing so many headaches. The radio's not talking, is to say they cannot speak for themselves when they are not working properly. As long as they can stay powered on, the radio's do perform as requested. Never had one case of audio loss yet . . in a mobile.
There is the one issue we are correcting with the XTS2500 with low audio, but there again we are working that out with them as we speak. Damn resistors.

The system hasn't happered the use of the radio's as of yet. Being only a single site mulit-channel 9600 ASTRO-CAI, has not helped cover the entire county but with other neighboring agencies bringing online their own systems that the state is having linked together via microwave, problems with coverage should go away.

And again it is right now the power up issues that are nailing the coffins shut. Thankfully there haven't been any other major problems as of yet.

CoM
nickburns186

Post by nickburns186 »

I've installed about 20 and havent had any issues to date. I do remember when installing though that I had to call Motorola because their documentation had the wrong way to wire the ignition sense. They have since issued a SRN to correct the documentation.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

SRN 1524A

It states for dash mount radios the transceiver rear red wire should be connected to battery and the thin red wire from the rear accy connector to the ignition switch for ignition control.

For remote mount the the transceiver red wire and control head red wire should be connected to battery and the control head yellow wire connected to ignition for ignition control. If both the control head red & yellow are connected to ignition then it is an "illegal wiring".

Contact me via private message with your email address and I can send the SRN to you in case you do not have access to MOL.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

This may or may not affect the XTL2500, but its for the 1500...
SUBJECT:
XTL1500 – Ignition Sense Stops Working - For Heavy Duty or Large Vehicle Installations

MODELS / SYSTEMS AFFECTED:
All XTL1500 mobiles, not band specific shipped before August 2006. Radios shipped starting in August 2006 will have this kit included with the ignition sense kit.

NOTE: Design enhancements on future model revision will have this circuit built into the XTL1500. Approx. January 2007

SYMPTOM:
XTL1500 Mobile radios with ignition switch power control installed in vehicles using large solenoid switches may be damaged due to large reverse transient voltage spikes produced by these solenoids. When this occurs the XTL1500 ignition sense fails to function properly.

CAUSE:
Design Limitations

RESOLUTION:
Install the ignition sense diode kit (HLN6325B) as seen in the figure below. To order the HLN6325B, contact Customer Care Services at 800-422-4210 and reference this FSB number.

SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION:
Medium - Perform at next scheduled maintenance

This bulletin authorizes parts warranty only. No reference to labor warranty is implied, intended or authorized.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Kemoc

XTL2500 800 MHz

Post by Kemoc »

XTL2500, There is no humor in this subject. PISSED OFF. They had most of the MCS problems fixed and they stopped making them to give us this crap. YES, for no apparent reason the head will go dead. There is power at all points. One was in a Crown Vic, One in an Expedition the other in an international squad. The plastic toy cable has to be removed and then replaced out of the back of the head to power the unit back up. Haven’t heard back from MOTOROLA. We have replaced two heads from stock, from the same lot that has so far stopped the problem, most likely indirectly. But I expect it to come back. We are sending the heads to the BORDER (don’t get me started on THAT) but again I’m not holding my breath. Anybody getting anything from Motorola? Didn’t think so. Nothing is ever wrong from their side.
P.S. LOOKOUT
XTS2500 Model number has changed an to bn and you cannot clone from one to the other. SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. You make templates for all the police and fire in a county And now you have to drag and drop in this flaky software and go over and over it cause something strange going on there! PISS OFF!

:evil:
txshooter

Re: XTL2500 800 MHz

Post by txshooter »

Kemoc wrote:XTL2500, There is no humor in this subject. PISSED OFF. They had most of the MCS problems fixed and they stopped making them to give us this crap. YES, for no apparent reason the head will go dead. There is power at all points. One was in a Crown Vic, One in an Expedition the other in an international squad. The plastic toy cable has to be removed and then replaced out of the back of the head to power the unit back up. Haven’t heard back from MOTOROLA. We have replaced two heads from stock, from the same lot that has so far stopped the problem, most likely indirectly. But I expect it to come back. We are sending the heads to the BORDER (don’t get me started on THAT) but again I’m not holding my breath. Anybody getting anything from Motorola? Didn’t think so. Nothing is ever wrong from their side.
P.S. LOOKOUT
XTS2500 Model number has changed an to bn and you cannot clone from one to the other. SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. You make templates for all the police and fire in a county And now you have to drag and drop in this flaky software and go over and over it cause something strange going on there! PISS OFF!

Man two posts and both slamming Motorola with no possible solutions.......
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Re: XTL2500 800 MHz

Post by DES-AJ »

txshooter wrote:
Kemoc wrote:XTL2500, There is no humor in this subject. PISSED OFF. They had most of the MCS problems fixed and they stopped making them to give us this crap. YES, for no apparent reason the head will go dead. There is power at all points. One was in a Crown Vic, One in an Expedition the other in an international squad. The plastic toy cable has to be removed and then replaced out of the back of the head to power the unit back up. Haven’t heard back from MOTOROLA. We have replaced two heads from stock, from the same lot that has so far stopped the problem, most likely indirectly. But I expect it to come back. We are sending the heads to the BORDER (don’t get me started on THAT) but again I’m not holding my breath. Anybody getting anything from Motorola? Didn’t think so. Nothing is ever wrong from their side.
P.S. LOOKOUT

Man two posts and both slamming Motorola with no possible solutions.......
I know man... Must be a big M dartboard in that household. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
MasterMarine

Post by MasterMarine »

Hello,

I have seen a similar issue concerning the ignition sense here.

A local agency has several XTL2500 radios. They either had them installed themselves or had them installed by a subcontractor. At least 2 have had a problem. They will inconsistently turn themselves on when you start the engine of the vehicle (both Crown Vic PI). One of them will turn on only once or twice and then it will not turn on again. That one seems to be affected by temperature as it works fine when warm (other than the occasional turn on at engine start) and then after it is outside it acts up (will not turn on at all). We have them wired as identified in the bulletin (with yellow keyed and red B+). We have tried hooking both control head power leads to B+. Still does it. They are set to "blank" in the Code plug. The one that has the temperature issues is at Motorola now for its 2nd tour. They have acknowledged some kind of problem with the firmware from the head and the radio possibly being incompatible. I am thinking the agency's installer switched control heads around inadvertently.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? How have you resolved it?

MasterMarine

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”