Can/Should I Recase an AS2R?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Can/Should I Recase an AS2R?

Post by fogster »

I picked up one of those VHF AS2 rugged models that've been all over eBay. Are the 'innards' the same as a non-rugged AS2? Is recasing as simple as popping it out of the R case and into a non-R case?

Do I have any way of telling if the case has been opened? (Letting the inert gas inside out.) If it's still 'good' I don't want to recase it, but if it's already been opened, I might as well. I just don't know if I can check it.

Finally... Is there a difference in resale value? In other words, does a used Rugged rig traditionally go for more (or less) than a non-R?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

AS2-R

Post by Tom in D.C. »

1. Same "insides" as a regular Astro Saber. Slap on a
regular case and off you go.
2. I don't know.
3. Years ago, in the pre-Astro days, a Saber R was
worth somewhat more than a regular Saber. In
the meantime word has gotten out that getting
batteries for an R is not a cheap deal, so my guess
is that the R is now worth a bit less. However, there
are guys who want these cases, for whatever
reason. I swapped an R I had for an AS3 case
and both of us were happy.

FWIW, if I had an AS2-R and a couple of good batteries
I'd keep it the way it is.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

They don't have inernt gas in them. They are simply well sealed. To test them to see if they are still properly sealed Motorola makes a kit to test it. Unless you plan on submerging your radio in a water I really wouldn't worry about it.

Jason
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

KB9KST wrote:They don't have inernt gas in them. They are simply well sealed.
Now I wonder where I got that belief from. I was totally convinced that Motorola filled them with an inert gas, but, upon a search, I only find a couple people mentioning that they thought they might have an inert gas.
To test them to see if they are still properly sealed Motorola makes a kit to test it.
I assume it's in line with Motorola's other products? (i.e., unreasonably expensive?)
Unless you plan on submerging your radio in a water I really wouldn't worry about it.
I was more concerned about its future value, as I was under the impression that once an R-series radio was opened, it was no longer submersible.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

XTS3000R's and XTS5000R's are pressurized. On a true R (not one that simply has a R case) there is a small port on the back housing that allows for the radio seal to be pressurized.

This is probably what you were thinking about.

The only problem with the Astro Saber R's is that the batteries are comparatively very expensive and you only have one option as far as size and chemistry. You are stuck using the gigantic size battery. So if the overall size of the radio is not a consideration then thats not a problem. If this is a radio you will regularly carry around then you might keep an eye out for a cheap II or III case.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”