XTL5000 Programming Question(s)

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wzvcfm

XTL5000 Programming Question(s)

Post by wzvcfm »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a computer (radio ignorant) guy who's currently working on (by power of delegation) programming over 500 XTL5000 mobile radios, along with nearly 1,100 portables. I recently acquired a 6155A programming cable for the XTL5000's (after much digging and asking), but am running into a connectivity error that states:

Radio Failed To Ackowledge
Error Context: 24; Status: c0000386

These do have a remote heads (don't know which specific model at this point). Reading other posts, it sounds like it's a COM port or cable issue, but I've tried different combinations with no success.

The local radio shop says they've never been able to program these through the MIC connector. I'm at a loss.

Any help or assistance you guys could offer would be extremely grateful.

Brian
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Are these the XTL's with the trational motorola head (w series) or the new ones with the fancy displays?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

To my knowledge, they are just the traditional heads.

After some more reading here, it may be of interest that I'm using a USB-to-Serial Adapter (ALTEN) to the 6155A Cable, since the ole laptop does not have a serial connection. I'm getting a reading from the adapter (it has a light at the end), thus the COM ports are set right...just no return from the radio..

Again, thanks a million for your assistance.

Brian
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Have you tried on a different computer which has an actual serial port?

If you want to figure out exactly where the problem lies, it's probably your best bet to try a different system.

-Alex
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

Thanks Alex,

Suprisingly, our Comm Center has no laptops with serial connections, but I'm pursuing procuring one for strictly radio porgramming. Thanks for the suggestion and I will continue to pursue. On a side note, we do use these ALTEN USB-to-Serial models for connecting to some older Orion radios for our dispatch software and they seem to work rather well...

I guess my biggest concern is the point the local radio shop made about not being able to program via a remote head (traditional) on these XTL5000's. Everything still points to me being able to use the MIC connection. I want to eliminate this as an issue to so I concentrate on the serial connection issue.

Thanks again,

Brian
Ranger522
What radios do you own?: APX8000, everything ASTRO

Post by Ranger522 »

I ran into the same problem with the USB/serial adapter on an ASTRO Spectra Plus (predecessor to the XTL5000). When I switched to a true serial port (different laptop), it worked.

Note that the same adapter works with all of the other radios that I program, Motorolas, Kenwoods, Thales, EF Johnson, Yaesu and others.

Hope this helps.
My Radios:
Motorola- APX8500/8000/7500/7000/6500, ASTRO Spectra, XTS3000, XTL5000, XTS5000, HT1000, MCS2000, MCC7500, MaraTrac, GTR8000/Quantar/K-Core/IMW/CompassCom AVL
Kenwood- TK-8160, TH-F6
Datron- Gardian Mobile/Portable
Thales- Racal T25
Yaesu- FT8900
More.....
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

It may be easier to just use a PCMCIA serial card. It will be a true serial port. I use one here for programming radios on a laptop that didn't have a serial port. Works like a champ. I also tried to USB converters before with no luck.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
pacrat551

Post by pacrat551 »

Ranger522 wrote:I ran into the same problem with the USB/serial adapter on an ASTRO Spectra Plus (predecessor to the XTL5000). When I switched to a true serial port (different laptop), it worked.
I haven't programmed or seen any remote head XTL's yet, but I know that the ASTRO Spectra Plus remotes you had to use the mic port on the radio itself. You CAN NOT program those via the mic port on the control head.
Last edited by pacrat551 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Slaughter
Communications Coordinator
City of Lockhart
Lockhart, Texas
aslaughter@lockhart-tx.org
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

Thanks a million to everyone.

I will pursue the true serial method rather than continue with this USB-to-Serial nonsense. I've never seen a PCMCIA serial card, but thanks for the suggestion. I will look into further.

Brian
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

You can pick them up for under $20.00

I got mine on Ebay a couple of years ago, but I'm sure places like Best Buy have them.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
RKG

Post by RKG »

I believe you can always program an XTL5000 via the accessory connector on the back of the radio itself. Uses something called "Data Cable" in the catelog (I want to say 6160, but I don't have the cable in front of me; has a square connector on one end (with a power connector that you don't use) and a DB9 on the other).

In fact, that is the ONLY way I've been able to program XTL5000s thus far.
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

RKG,

That is the same response the local radio shop is giving me too.... They say they use a 26-pin (give or take a pin or two) out on the radio end, but requires some disassembly to get to.

P.S. They did the initial installs and mounted the radios in an "inaccessible to the average guy" location in the trunk, thus me not seeing this connection. I do have this 26-pin cable with a power wire and inline fuse, but it's USB I do believe.

Brian
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

If you have the USB cable - try that.

You'll also find that the radio should read/write much faster over usb - and you won't have to worry about your serial problem.

Sorry to hear that poor mounting location may play a role on that being practical....

-Alex
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

I may be mistaken, but I think i've read that you cannot program via the front mic port if the radio is a remote mount. Something to check.
Trans Tech
What radios do you own?: 2 Tin-cans & a long string

Post by Trans Tech »

I believe you can only program and flash the xtl5000 thru the radio. I was never able to program thru the remote head.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Brian,
Check your PMs.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

OK guys, yes you can program the XTL5000 and the PM1500
remote mount radios through the front mic connector. You
need to use the HKN6184A cable. This is a USB connector
on the computer end.

Next thing you need to do is go into the RSS and select the
"VIEW" tab at the top. Next go into the "OPTIONS" selection.
At the bottom of the next screen is the port selection. Click
on the down arrow and go to the bottom of the selection.
There you will find the USB port selection. Click on that,
click on the apply and away you go. It will probably cause
the computer to find a new device. Just let the windows go
through all it's girations.

I have seen one problem crop up. Sometimes you do get that
error 24 or what ever it says. Just power off the radio and
power it back up. The computer does it's thing and sees
the radio again. Click on the save to radio icon and have at it.

Have both an XTL5000 with a remote O5 head on it and the
PM1500 with the standard remote head on it. Been playing
with the software configuration of the radios. They both use
the same RSS. As with most of the newer RSS, you need to
do things in the correct order. Otherwise you will chase your
butt around for a while.

Jim
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

Wow... this is load of valuable information.

From what I'm gathering so far is that I need to procure the HKN6184A USB cable from Motorola and then try either the control head method or dabble with it back at the radio end.

Rifling through my box of cables, I came across a HKN6163A USB cable that has a 26-pin (with only 10 actual pins) connector. Do I dare even ask what I would ever use this one for?

Thanks a million.

Brian
RKG

Post by RKG »

wzvcfm wrote:RKG,

That is the same response the local radio shop is giving me too.... They say they use a 26-pin (give or take a pin or two) out on the radio end, but requires some disassembly to get to.

P.S. They did the initial installs and mounted the radios in an "inaccessible to the average guy" location in the trunk, thus me not seeing this connection. I do have this 26-pin cable with a power wire and inline fuse, but it's USB I do believe.

Brian
Talk about "some disassembly," try doing this with XTLs as Consolettes, where to even get access to the transceiver itself you have to remove the Consolette box from the cabinet and then open it up.

Our solution was to get an extra "data" cable, make a hole through the Consolette box so that it can be left plugged into the radio and drape down to the access door on the cabinet, and program that way.

In the case of the Consolette, the control head is separated from the transceiver itself and connected via an external board in the Consolette case; I suspect that is why programming via the mike port doesn't work.
ard099

Post by ard099 »

From my experience I have never been able to program thru the mic jack of the remote control head on an XTL5000 with the "W" series control head. The "W" series have a seven segment display on the control head. I have always used the usb cable that you have that plugs in the rear of the radio. But, if you have the "OC" style control head, which is a newer control head with a bigger lcd type screen, then you can use the HKN6184A programming cable to program thru the mic jack. Also the mic jack on the "OC" series is round, where the "W" series typically has a rectangular mic jack. Call the radioshop and ask what type of control heads that you have, they should be able to help, maybe. Also if that many radios were purchased at one time someone from Motorola, or the radio shop should be giving you a hand or they should be finding someone who could help.
wzvcfm

Post by wzvcfm »

Well Everyone,

Here's the results:

The XTL5000's with "W-Series" control heads, which I just discovered we had this morning, require the HKN6155A programming cable. The radios can ONLY be programmed from the radio side, NOT from the control head. The cable has the rectangular mic connection, but when programming at the radio, the connection is "upside" compared to the way it looks at the control head (and covered with a cap).

Those with any "O-Series" control heads require the HKN6184A (USB) programming cable, which has a round mic connector.

To add insult to my injuries, I originally ordered the HKN6155A and attempted to program through the control head. Failures forced me to keep looking around. I then ordered the HKN6184A cable and after seeing the round mic connection, thought I better get in contact with some other radio guys. Turns out, the one I just returned to Motorola via UPS I need back.... guess this what happens when computer guys start messing around with radio guys equipment... :wink:

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and direction.

Brian
eweiner2

Post by eweiner2 »

I'm a computer guy and I mess around with radios. Don't get it right all the time but that's why you have nice, helpful people like those here on the board!
johnnyleo11

Post by johnnyleo11 »

I too am having problems reading the radio.

My setup:

XCVR: XTL-5000
CPS: RVN4185U Version R08.00.00
Belkin USB to Serial adapter F5U109 to HKN6155A.

The control heads I have are the XTL-5000 W9 that is on the boat the xcvr is located on and an Astro/Spectra W9 that I am troubleshooting with. It is my understanding that these heads are both compatible w/ the XTL-5000. I replaced the XTL-5000 w/ the Astro/Spectra on the boat w/o any problems.

The problem presented itself when someone was trying to load encrypted codes on to the radio itself w/ a T3011DX-DES keyloader. The radio did not respond when prompted w/ the keyloader.

I have removed the xcvr from the boat and now have it on a workbench to see if I can troubleshoot. First and foremost, I'm trying to read the radio and get an error. The codeplug that is in the radio was programmed w/ RVN4185S VerR07.00.00. I don't think this is a problem b/c my software should be able to read this, correct?

Is this radio shot? I don't have another on the shelf to troubleshoot with at the time.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Can you specify what error it is that your getting? You make mention of one, and suggest that it may be your CPS version.

Do you have a laptop with a real serial port that you can test with? That might be your best chance to do some additional troubleshooting.

I, personally, would not trust using those belkin adapters. They are not made for what your trying to do.

-Alex
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I have several XTL's 2500 and 5000 with various remote mounts and the 05, W4 and W5 heads.
I have always programmed them through the radio port as the C/H has never worked.
I have not tried the cable I use for dashmount units on a remote 05 but have never had any problems going into the radio itself. In fact all of ours are programmed with the dont need control head option so that it can be done on the bench without any extra cabeling. The downer is that it uses a serial port.
johnnyleo11

Post by johnnyleo11 »

The error I am receiving is

Radio Failed To Ackowledge
Error Context: 24; Status: c0000386

I have used the Belkin adapter in the past w/o any problems when programming Astro/Spectra's and other XTL-5000. Tomorrow, I will try to read another xcvr with the same setup and see if anything changes.

My work (USCG) just purchased some new laptops and they only have USB connections. They do have PCMCIA slots and I read that someone suggested using one of the slots to add a serial port. Perhaps I'll put in a request to order some of those for the laptops. Does Motorola make a cable that goes directly from USB to the radio?

Thanks for the quick responses!
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

HKN6184 CABLE, CH PROGRAMMING USB (GCAI)
johnnyleo11

Re: XTL5000 Programming Question(s)

Post by johnnyleo11 »

Well my cable finally showed up after being shipped to the wrong address after almost a year. It was sent to a cutter and has hit various port calls along the east coast and the Caribbean. Turns out it has a USB connector on one end and a circular plug on the other end, a HKN6184A. I'm not able to use this cable b/c I'm using a Spectra W9 remote head http://gallery.batlabs.com/mobiles/speca9.jpg, not the really cool looking new one. Should I order the HKN6155A instead? This will plug in to the trapezoidal connector by the power cable on the rear, yes?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Is it a mid or hi power radio?

Jason
johnnyleo11

Post by johnnyleo11 »

I'm only using it at 25W. I believe I'm able to get it up to 125W. Model No: M20KSS9PW1AN.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

That is where you have issues. You state you can do 125 watts which is a high power model and you would have the correct cable, however your model number dictates you have a mid power or 50 watt radio. You need a different cable for the mid power. The serial cable HKN6155A should work.

Jason
akardam

Post by akardam »

johnnyleo11 wrote:Model No: M20KSS9PW1AN.
Low/Mid power, max of 50w. If you've got a W series head remote kit on it, you'll need the HKN6155 Astro Spectra+ / XTL cable. There's rumors you can use one of the HKN616x series data cables to program the radio from the rear connector, but I've never heard of this being a reliable solution.
johnnyleo11

Post by johnnyleo11 »

Just ordered two of the HKN6155A cables. Let's see if they work when they come in next week. I'm going to pick these up instead of having them shipped to me and end up at another unit's elex shop.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You can in fact program the radio from the rear accessory connector. I ended up making my own cable for
this purpose. I am informed that the data cable will work. That is the connections that I used to make my cable.

Jim

akardam wrote:
johnnyleo11 wrote:Model No: M20KSS9PW1AN.
Low/Mid power, max of 50w. If you've got a W series head remote kit on it, you'll need the HKN6155 Astro Spectra+ / XTL cable. There's rumors you can use one of the HKN616x series data cables to program the radio from the rear connector, but I've never heard of this being a reliable solution.
Cain

Post by Cain »

I have an XTL5000 W3,

Can anyone help me out by sending me a diagram of these "homemade" cables??? I have read through just about every post to do with xtl5000's and am more confused from it then when I started.

To confirm, you can program an XTL5000 in W3 config through the ports on the front of the radio (DB25) with a modified RS232 Data cable?? (this is what I can get out of everything I have read anyways). However what is the actual modification needed on the cable???

Thanks in advance
Cain
Why wont it work this time?
cbus

Post by cbus »

cain, just buy a cable man

I use a USB cable that plugs into the rear of the radio on my xtl w3's and it works fine. cable was from emcomm. order one, don't be tight, under $130aud delivered
Cain

Post by Cain »

cbus,

That would be the easiest thing to do if one had $130 to spend on a cable, however my post did not ask whether I should buy the cable or not. My post was whether anyone could help me out in the schematics of the cable needed.
Why wont it work this time?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”