Problem between ASTRO SABER and XTS3000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cgroftmc

Problem between ASTRO SABER and XTS3000

Post by cgroftmc »

I am trying to set up two radios AS and XTS to communicate. I have ASTRO enabled on rx and tx on both radios as well as NAC 293 and digital CSQ. Talk group and signalling are disabled. I only get digital noise on either radio when recieving. I have checked everything that I can think of and compared the settings between the two radios. Any insight would be helpful. Both radios are R7.XXX and DSP 8.XXX. Thanks!!!

Craig
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

What are the flashcodes?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

XTS 580001-000000-0

AS 100001-000000-7
MRFLASHPORT

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

cgroftmc,

Are both Radio's set to either 2.5 or 12.5 khz?
MrFlashPort
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

Under the TX Options screen the channel spacing is set to 25KHZ. Is this the setting that you are referring to?

Craig
txshooter

Re: Problem between ASTRO SABER and XTS3000

Post by txshooter »

cgroftmc wrote:I am trying to set up two radios AS and XTS to communicate. I have ASTRO enabled on rx and tx on both radios as well as NAC 293 and digital CSQ. Talk group and signalling are disabled. I only get digital noise on either radio when recieving. I have checked everything that I can think of and compared the settings between the two radios. Any insight would be helpful. Both radios are R7.XXX and DSP 8.XXX. Thanks!!!

Craig
More important than the flash....what is the letter prior to the DSP on these radios......
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

The XTS is a N. The AS is an A.

Craig
akardam

Post by akardam »

That's the problem right there. "A" series DSP's are analog only.
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

The XTS is a N. The AS is an A.

"A" means analog only, but the AS is transmitting digital. I can hear the data stream on my scanner.

Hack Job???

Craig
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

A does mean analog only. What is the full firmware and DSP version of the Astro Saber? I wonder if someone's dumped an IMBE flashcode into a VSELP radio.
txshooter

Digital Flash

Post by txshooter »

cgroftmc wrote:The XTS is a N. The AS is an A.

"A" means analog only, but the AS is transmitting digital. I can hear the data stream on my scanner.

Hack Job???

Craig
A radio can be given a digital flash either legitimatey or by other means and not have the firmware capable of correctly recieving the digital signal. That is the problem you are having with that radio.
Last edited by txshooter on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Sounds like one of the radios is horibly out of alignment.

I bet they talk to each other in analog just fine :D

IMBE requires very close alignment for it to work. IMBE deviation is something like 2.83khz. If off by a few hundredths, can cause problems.

If you have a digital BCD396/996T, try adjusting the scanners "P-25 fine tune" up/down while talking IMBE. If you can hear at least some audio (even extremly choppy audio) while adjusting the fine tune on the scanner, thats a dead give-away that IMBE radio in question is out of alignment something fierce :-?
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

"Analog only" radios ('A' in the DSP) will TX IMBE just fine, but they will not decode IMBE at all no matter how much alignment is done on them. You need a firmware upgrade, not a frankenflash upgrade, but a true upgrade.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
cgroftmc

Post by cgroftmc »

Thanks all for the help.

Craig
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

RESCUE161 wrote:"Analog only" radios ('A' in the DSP) will TX IMBE just fine, but they will not decode IMBE at all no matter how much alignment is done on them. You need a firmware upgrade, not a frankenflash upgrade, but a true upgrade.

Really! Thats very interesting to know - I had just assumed that the A firmware had all of the IMBE software removed for licensing reasons.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”