Users may not create topics, posts, or private messages containing or relating to the following material (especially pertaining to Motorola copyrighted software, unless you want Motorola to come along and shut this site down):

  • Listing for sale or trade of, or links to sites offering for sale or trade of, or giving away, Radio
    Service Software (RSS) or Customer Programming Software (CPS)
  • Profanity, pornography, defamation, or slanderous remarks directed towards any individual or entity
  • Commercial advertising (except in the Batboard Vendors forum, as approved by the Admin/Mod Staff)
  • Any other items which may be deemed as offensive

If any topics, posts, or private messages containing or relating to the aforementioned material are brought to the attention of the Admin/Mod Staff, they will be deleted.

Additional FAQ items appear here in Forum Rules. Please review them for posting guidelines and further clarification.

Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

User avatar
DES-AJ
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby DES-AJ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:25 am

Hi guys, this thing is like a russian doll, Got one tool and opened the chassis and housing and now all the boards are encased in this steel cover (I'll post pics on the weekend) the screw head is a very strange one, almost looks half way between a philips and a diamond head in one.

Anyone know of a screwdriver tool part number?
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement

RKG
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby RKG » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 am

Post a photo.

RocketNJ
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby RocketNJ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:52 am

Sure it isn't a Torx?

User avatar
mikegilbert
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:08 am
What radios do you own?: All of them

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby mikegilbert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 pm

Do any of these resemble the screw?

Image
flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com
escomm wrote:Awesomesauce

MattSR
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:00 pm

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby MattSR » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:49 pm

DES-AJ wrote:Hi guys, this thing is like a russian doll, Got one tool and opened the chassis and housing and now all the boards are encased in this steel cover (I'll post pics on the weekend) the screw head is a very strange one, almost looks half way between a philips and a diamond head in one.

Anyone know of a screwdriver tool part number?


Ash, give me a buzz - odds are I have what you are looking for...

User avatar
DES-AJ
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby DES-AJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 am

Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

I will say (This will probably spark something) that their is no option board connector for the XTS2500I for encryption. (Period)

Judging after comparing an XTS5000 encryption board and the main board in an XTS2500I I would say hardware encryption is onboard. It's just a matter of that part of the radio being flashed correctly for the algo you require.

Time for some healthy debate.
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement

User avatar
DES-AJ
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby DES-AJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:57 am

Oh and Gil, it's similar to a Torx but very small and a bit too much like porridge at the three bears house...

I went through 7 screw driver sets, it was either too small or too big. Finally I found one that was just right! :)
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement

RocketNJ
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby RocketNJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:39 am

DES-AJ wrote:Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

I will say (This will probably spark something) that their is no option board connector for the XTS2500I for encryption. (Period)

Judging after comparing an XTS5000 encryption board and the main board in an XTS2500I I would say hardware encryption is onboard. It's just a matter of that part of the radio being flashed correctly for the algo you require.

Time for some healthy debate.


The encryption field upgrade requires changing out the keypad board to the keypad/encryption one. I've done the retros in the field already.

User avatar
alex
Administrator
Posts: 5726
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby alex » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am

RocketNJ wrote:
DES-AJ wrote:Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

I will say (This will probably spark something) that their is no option board connector for the XTS2500I for encryption. (Period)

Judging after comparing an XTS5000 encryption board and the main board in an XTS2500I I would say hardware encryption is onboard. It's just a matter of that part of the radio being flashed correctly for the algo you require.

Time for some healthy debate.


The encryption field upgrade requires changing out the keypad board to the keypad/encryption one. I've done the retros in the field already.


You know what the trick is to remove the shield where the keypad is easily? It's a B*itch to get it in there, I can't imagine removing it.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

User avatar
DES-AJ
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Postby DES-AJ » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:11 am

Anyone got the part # for the encryption/keypad module for a 2500I? Will it take an XTS5000 Encryption board or are the boards different?
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement


Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest