Prob. Reading XTS-5000....

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Gman
What radios do you own?: Too many

Prob. Reading XTS-5000....

Post by Gman »

Hello all,I am using CPS Astro 10.00.00 and keep getting a "Windows" pop up box error while trying to read the radio.When I try to read the XTS-5000 with the Xts-3000 CPS it will open the radio and start reading,of course its the wrong software but I was using it as an example...Heres what the Pop up says...In the title it says: NextGen10
Open radio failed
Error Context:24,Status: c000039e

I have not tried another computer yet,just my laptop which has a serial,and I even tried a USB to Serial converter,but only for this testing purpose.Any help would be appreciated..Thanks... :D

P.S.-I get the pop up box even if I don't have anything plugged into the computer..
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: Prob. Reading XTS-5000....

Post by Mfire39 »

Make sure you have the correct "Com Port" selected with the Astro25 CPS.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
dave.au
What radios do you own?: 5k/4k/3k/xtl5k

Post by dave.au »

My ribless cable will not work unless i use a USB>SERIAL converter, also double check what cable you were using make sure its not the 3 pin xts3k cable.

Dave.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Gman wrote:When I try to read the XTS-5000 with the Xts-3000 CPS it will open the radio and start reading..
This makes me think you are trying to use the same programming cable & RIB as you do with the XTS3000? If so, that's your problem. You need either the USB (RKN4105) or serial Ribless cable (RKN4106) for the XTS5000...

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

wavetar wrote:
Gman wrote:When I try to read the XTS-5000 with the Xts-3000 CPS it will open the radio and start reading..
This makes me think you are trying to use the same programming cable & RIB as you do with the XTS3000? If so, that's your problem. You need either the USB (RKN4105) or serial Ribless cable (RKN4106) for the XTS5000...

Todd
I also agree with wavetar, sounds like your using a RIB and XTS3000 cable. Astro25 radios do not use a RIB.

Here's my list of errors I've been able to determine so far for the Astro 25 line:

Radio Info is Incorrect <----there is no communication to radio
Error Code: e4000398

Open Radio Failed <----need newer CPS? not 100% on this one
Error Code: a4000309

Radio Failed to Acknowledge <----comport problems or bad prog. cable
Error Code: e4000386

Connection Error
Error Context: 24, Status: 80004005 <-------------Comport is being used by another program

Open Radio Failed:
Error Context: 24, Status: c0000039e <-------------Using older style RIB, not MAX 232

Gobble Gobble, Happy Thanksgiving

HT
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I've gotten the "NextGen10" error when using serial port monitors that weren't "transparent" or if other app's were running and used the serial port, but those programs were not in use (just minimized on the task bar). Try only having the Astro25 CPS running. That might do the trick, assuming you're using the correct cable.
Gman
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by Gman »

Thank you for reading into my post as I didn't metion that I am using a conventional RIB and serial connection,sorry about that.I just assumed that it was serviced the "Old fashioned way" along with the new stuff.I will order myself a USB XTS-5000 cable.Thank you all for the help.. 8)
kk6rq
What radios do you own?: My wife is calling; go away...

Post by kk6rq »

Hello all, I am using CPS Astro 10.00.00 and keep getting a "Windows" pop up box error while trying to read the radio.When I try to read the XTS-5000 with the Xts-3000 CPS it will open the radio and start reading,of course its the wrong software but I was using it as an example...
Open radio failed
Error Context:24,Status: c000039e
I'm having the same problem as Gman, save the status-- 80004005 on one PC, c0000343 on another.Nothing wrong with the cable either; works on all my other radios. Worked on this one, too, until I wrote to it with CPS11. Read it (just back from the depot with updates-FW 10), wrote a few new things to it (a conventional channel to test--it's nearly empty, otherwise) It began on the second read attempt. Tried a laptop- same thing. Gotta be some kind of bug or something that hasn't occurred to me. Anybody? Before I pack it up and ship it back to M?

Update next day: I can still read the radio w/ the tuner app; but CPS-11 still no.
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

OK, replying to my own post.....

NEVER MIND. An uninstall/reinstall solved the problem, though I can't for the life of me explain why
it simultaneously failed on multiple computers..... Arrrgh.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Had you maybe recently installed a different version of the mobile Astro25 CPS? If the versions are different, the last software installed will work (ie: mobile), and the previously installed CPS (ie: portable) won't, as the "common files" they share between them aren't recognized.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

Nah, it WAS working; just stopped all of a sudden. Ghosts, methinks....
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

Sorry I never came back and posted my fix; it actually turned out to be some sort of CPS or OS corruption after all;
uninstall + reinstall + REBOOT (last of which I didn't do at first) fixed it in the end. Finicky stuff...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

NJ RADIO NUT wrote:reboot of? computer?
ive uninstalled then reinstalled the CPS, still nothing..
i dont even get the sound (when windows founds new hardware, when you plug in a USB device to your machne)when i plug in the radio with the USB
Assuming your computer is good & other USB devices work with it, then it points to either a bad programming cable, or a bad radio. Can't say which unless you have another radio and/or cable around to swap.

Todd

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It could be as simple as a dirty accessory pin, although I assume you'd have checked for that. The easiest thing to try is swapping the front housing with another. Most times the problem resides somewhere in the flex cable within the housing. If a known good housing gives the same result, it likely needs a trip to the depot. The fact Windows doesn't even acknowledge when you plug the radio into the USB indicates it's not a CPS issue.

Todd

W2WP
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\otorola XTS3000

Post by W2WP »

This issue has popped up with me also.
I have no problems using the xts2500 / CPS R12 with my only cable on any laptop with serial port (2 different IBM and 1 HP).
As soon as I try on a desktop NFG! Does not matter if IBM, Dell, or HP still get the:

Radio Failed to Acknowledge <----comport problems or bad prog. cable
Error Code: e4000386

I know it's not the cable and I know it's not the COM port! :lol:

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”