XTL 5000 Losing key w/ infinite retention enabled

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

XTL 5000 Losing key w/ infinite retention enabled

Post by randymince »

To give a little backstory, just upgraded a fleet of radios from 3000's to 5000 per AES migration and equipment refresh. Due to never having all almost 1000 radios, infinite key retention was never enabled in the codeplug due to the madness of getting hands on every radio to make the change. Currently there has been a case of a consolette w/ infinite key retention lose it's key, and upon powering down and coming back up resumes as if nothing happened. I know the key is stored, but what would cause the radio to lose it's key, error 9/10, and resume displaying the correct key label such as the ckr number? This has only happened on one new XTL radio so far, but I have also had an issue with an older spectra doing the same thing. So again the key is lost, upon repowering it resumes normal secure operation with infinite key retention enabled. Any help would be awesome.
...And that's how radios work
groundrat99

Re: XTL 5000 Losing key w/ infinite retention enabled

Post by groundrat99 »

I have had this problem many many times with spectra consolettes. We would power cycle them and it would work perfectly but then fail again. We traced some of the issue to fluctuating power sources. The input voltage and frequency would vary causing all sorts of weird issues. We had to put UPS's with power conditioners at each base station. It seemed to help. May not be the same for the XTL's though.
randymince

Post by randymince »

Well I am in kuwait, so the power is perfect..... I had it narrowed down to a codeplug problem/secure hardware issue, or power. Good to hear that someone had the same issue. Thanks for the feedback, i will try the UPS solution. Also something I have noticed with the XTL5000 consolette, if you have the power supply set to 230 and you plug into 110, the fuse doesn't blow. Somebody had wired 110 to a european style electrical outlet, so it drove me nuts troubleshooting it, then I just tested the output power, and that's when I realized someone had been a lazy dumbass. On a side note, does anybody havethe mic pin out for the XTL5000 consolette? I am looking to interface an IP-223 (RAdio over IP interface) to a consolette.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Keys dumping like you describe can be caused by a mismatch in host/dsp firmware and the UCM firmware. Sounds like one or the other is not matched.
randymince

Post by randymince »

Can you explain a little more? We recently replaced every radio and so far this problem has occured on a single XTL consolette. I am thinking it's power, because another guy from a seperate area with an older spectra had the same issue. All the new radios have the same firmware and ucm. How would you know if there was a mismatch, besides going into service mode on random radios to see if they match? Thanks for the interest though, any help would be appreciated.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

An error 09/10 doesn't mean you lost the key. It means the encryption board is not present or the radio does not recognize it. If you are just losing keys the display would show key fail when you selected secure mode and when you tried to transmit. Powering down and then up resets all the connections but after a short time you may be loing the encryption board for some internal problem. If you have another good consolete try swapping the boards and see if the problem follows

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”