Text Messaging issues between mobile and portable

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

Text Messaging issues between mobile and portable

Post by jmr061 »

Radios involved > XTS5000 Model 3 VHF and XTL5000 O3 VHF

Working on doing text messaging through a quantar repeater that has RDLAP enabled.

XTS to XTL ---> Messages go through fine and XTL sends ack. to XTS

XTL to XTS ---> Messages fail, nothing on XTS end

Any ideas as to why it would send one way but not the other?

Jason
Hightower

Re: Text Messaging issues between mobile and portable

Post by Hightower »

If the XTS works sending to the XTL, that means the Quantar is most likely set-up properly. What else is left? Radio programming..... Check your IP address just too be sure nothing is conflecting. Try setting the two radios IP's within the same range (not sure the techinical term for this). Radio 1 IP is 10.10.10.05, radio 2 IP is 10.10.10.6 - you get the point....

Akerdam has a great setup guide for doing this. I'd double check all your TMS settings in BOTH radios, as I'd bet Compuman81's right hand that one or more TMS settings are incorrect.

good luck
8)
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Hightower wrote:ITry setting the two radios IP's within the same range (not sure the techinical term for this). Radio 1 IP is 10.10.10.05, radio 2 IP is 10.10.10.6 - you get the point....
The term you are looking for is "subnet" - you need to insure that the netmask is set correctly.

The netmask will be a value like "255.255.0.0" or "255.0.0.0". The radios' IP addresses MUST NOT differ in any octet where the netmask has a non-zero value - in other words if the netmask is 255.255.0.0, the first 2 octets of the radios' IP addresses must be the same.

(this is a grievous oversimplification, but close enough to answer the questions at hand - I'm not going into all the intricacies of CIDR, default gateways, and IP routing before finishing the first cup of coffee of the day.)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

IP's are set properly. I don't believe that is the issue. Already discussed things with Akardam. We are at a loss.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Update: change things over to direct TMS and I have the SAME issue.

Anyone got a mobile and portable talking to each other on TMS in direct?

Jason
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Does one or both radios have recent firmware? Is one older than the other? Double check your display/menu settings to make sure, message display times, alternating display times etc are ok.
akardam

Post by akardam »

GEMOTO wrote:Does one or both radios have recent firmware? Is one older than the other? Double check your display/menu settings to make sure, message display times, alternating display times etc are ok.
Other than making sure the TMS button or menu is assigned, this has absolutely nothing to do with display timers.
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

KB9KST wrote:Update: change things over to direct TMS and I have the SAME issue.

Anyone got a mobile and portable talking to each other on TMS in direct?

Jason
Hey Jason,

PM Me -- I do!!

cipher
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Does anyone have two XTS5000 portables taking to each other on TMS. If you do contact me. I have two portables and can't get them to talk to each other either. Something is wrong with my setup and I need to find out what.

Thanks

Jason
f1shs

Post by f1shs »

I have also the same issue.

But it works only one time, and after nothing.

I dont understand why

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”