XTL5000 with an Astro Spectra Control Head

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

birminghamems
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL5000(W9)

XTL5000 with an Astro Spectra Control Head

Post by birminghamems »

I ran across what I thought was an Astro Spectra in a local thrift store and immediately slapped down the $10 they wanted for it. I got it home and was matching the model number to this site to see what i have and noticed instead of Astro Spectra or anything of the sort it said XTL 5000. I've seen the XTL500 and it doesnt look anythin like this. Help!
txshooter

Re: XTL5000 with an Astro Spectra Control Head

Post by txshooter »

Earlier model XTL5000's used the same style heads as Astro Spectras....in fact the W9 head is extremely common. Another very common configuration involved the W7 head.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

The simple way to tell is to just look at the top cover on the radio. If you see the plain silver colored bare metal
ribs and the bat wing symbol, you have an XTL mobile. If the top cover is the same brownish color as the control
head, you have one of the Spectra family mobiles. It could be a plain Spectra, an Astro Spectra, or an Astro
Spectra Plus. Only the model number would give you a hint on the older radios.

Jim
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

What thrift shops do you shop in!!! :o
birminghamems
New User

Post by birminghamems »

Well i was just looking around in the alabama thrift store in midfield, its like the only one ive ever saw outside of a birmingham police car, and I bought it. i left it in my dad's truck and the cops stopped him for a busted taillight and they ran the numbers and it came back clean. Ive done a little research and by looking at the alpha display when i turn it on (F1 DISP) and local radio system maps, I figure someone got their hands on a Birmingham Fire Dept. radio. But why throw it to a thrift store???
birminghamems
New User

Post by birminghamems »

And is there a way to fic this radio to where i can listen to it in my car while im off duty and not get in any trouble with anybody?
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

if you think it's from birmingham fire, take it back to them and ask.

not only is it most likely "missing" - it's the right thing to do.

you are absolutely correct - a $4000 radio should *NOT* be in the thrift store.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Yep Dougs right. Run it by their radio shop. Im sure they didnt know it was missing and never made a report. Who knows maybe they have some other radio headed to salvage that they'll gladly give to you for bringing the radio back.

Fowler
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Doug is absolutely correct.

I would assume you would know if this radio is indeed a Birmingham FD radio, since you list them as your employer. I would recommend taking it to the department's radio guru and returning it to him. As it is, you encourage the assumption that you have likely pilfered the radio from the department for your personal use. Aside from being unethical, it's also a felony.

This thread is being locked. Feel free to PM a member of the admin staff if you have questions.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”