Build your own ASTRO25 equipment programming cables

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Build your own ASTRO25 equipment programming cables

Post by Twisted_Pear »

With the newer equipment there seems to be a serious lack of information on building your own programming cables. Even though the newer cables seem more complex they are just as simple as the older cables - if not simpler considering there's no RIB - as I've come to find out. I've compiled all the information I could find and have tested a few methods with success. I'm submitting >this< file for public scrutiny. As far as I know it should be pretty accurate but I have no confirmation on GCAI cables yet. USB for the XTL 26-pin have been confirmed along with RS-232 for the XTL 26-pin.

If anyone has any updates please let me know and I'll update the file.

I was able to obtain a typical 6' USB cable at the local Fry's Electronics for 99 cents. That plus a 26-pin (PN: HLN6863) will net you a nice discount. You can also purchase the 26-pin data cable (PN: HKN6160) and wire up a dual USB/RS-232 cable for programming and flashing.
Last edited by Twisted_Pear on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astro Spectra

Re: Build your own ASTRO25 equipment programming cables

Post by Astro Spectra »

Nice diagram.

I added the RS-232 pins to the XTL 26 way connector using pins from a crimp style DB-25 and used it to program the first XTL unit I got my hands on. Now I've bought a USB adapter it is faster, but the old home made RS-232 cable still gets used from time to time.
Q101ATFD

Post by Q101ATFD »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is the +5VDC on the XTS connection pin #4? The USB connector looks pretty straightforward. Is it easy to change the pin locations on a speaker-mic?
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I have a Moto XTS-ASTRO25 cable and pin 4 doesn't exist. No other pins send a voltage when plugged in to a computer.

And yes, the pins are easily desoldered and moved.
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I get an F for doing my homework on the XTS cable. It's got a DS2433 chip used for single line communication on it, which you wouldn't see when ohming out the pins. I'm no EE so I'm not sure if you could purchase the chip and still build the cable. Doesn't look like it.

I can at least confirm the XTL info works.
coder865
New User

Post by coder865 »

Twisted_Pear wrote:I get an F for doing my homework on the XTS cable. It's got a DS2433 chip used for single line communication on it, which you wouldn't see when ohming out the pins. I'm no EE so I'm not sure if you could purchase the chip and still build the cable. Doesn't look like it.

IMHO, the DS2433 is more than likely a MAX233 chip in disguise. The MAX233's have the caps made into them, saving space. Wish I had one of these to dissect and see if it could be "re-engineered". If it is a generic MAX chip, then a pic of the board in it would be nice too. Thanks for the info!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

coder865 wrote:
Twisted_Pear wrote:I get an F for doing my homework on the XTS cable. It's got a DS2433 chip used for single line communication on it, which you wouldn't see when ohming out the pins. I'm no EE so I'm not sure if you could purchase the chip and still build the cable. Doesn't look like it.

IMHO, the DS2433 is more than likely a MAX233 chip in disguise. The MAX233's have the caps made into them, saving space. Wish I had one of these to dissect and see if it could be "re-engineered". If it is a generic MAX chip, then a pic of the board in it would be nice too. Thanks for the info!
DS2433 is a 4Kb 1-Wire EEPROM - also has a 64-bit lasered ROM and a 48-bit serial number. Makes you wonder what that serial number gets written into.
simoco
New User
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by simoco »

Programming cables that work 100% of the time and needed with Astro25 mobile radios
The HKN6061 (the below cable) can flash and program the XTL, its a must have cable for programming
and firmware upgrades for radio, you can flash 03 heads but not 05 heads use HKN6183
The HKN6183 cable (GCAI RS232 Program/ Flashport Cable) its a must have cable for 05 head radios
you can program with the cable and do firmware upgrades

Both cables are a must have

HKN6061 programming cable pin out
Rear connector radio DB9

1----------GROUND----------------5
4----------TXD-------------------2
5----------RXD-------------------3
10---------CTS-------------------7
11---------RTS-------------------8

ALSO CONNECT 14 & 15 TOGETHER ON Rear connector radio (lOOP)emergency to ground

SPKR+ = PIN 20 & SPKR- = PIN 26 nOTE DO NOT GROUND SPKR-

IGNITION 12VOLTS + TO PIN 25

you CAN USE THE PINS FROM A MALE DB9/DB15/DB25 POP THEN OUT WITH METAL PIN PUNCH

AFTER SOLDERING WIRES TO PINS PUSH INTO REAR ACCESSORY PLUG
AND USE LONG NOSE PLYERS TO PULL PIN UNTIL CLICK ABOUT 2MM

PIN OUT FOR BRICK (RADIO REAR CONNECTOR IS IN DSM part number HLN6947A PAGE (3/9) FIGURE 3-8)

Note when looking at the rear connector plug you count the pin out (Pins) from the back
of the connector, in other words were you push the pins into the connector.

To count what pin is what.
open the connector ( Two screws on black plastic housing)

looking at the connector from the rear ( wires go into the connector)

If you look at the connector you will notice its almost like a square but one side is longer
this should be on your right hand side.

You should also notice two grey wires top left hand corner ( Speeker wires)
and a red wire that you connect to +12Volts as a ignition to power on radio.
If you are looking at the connector the correct way you should
also notice a white wire looped at the bottom of the connector this is emergency to ground

Now you are looking at the connector the right way.
pins are as follows

Bottom right hand corner counting up the same line of pins EXAMPLE
PIN ONE IS BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER, THE PIN ABOVE THAT IS PIN TWO UNTILL YOU GET TO THE TOP ( PIN 7)
THEN PIN 8 IS THE NEXT LINE OF PINS TO THE LEFT AND COUNT UP AGAIN UNTILL YOU GET TO PIN 13
THEN THE NEXT LINE TO THE LEFT OF THAT LINE START AT PIN 14 AND ENDS ON PIN 20=SPKR+
THEN THE NEXT LINE TO THE LEFT OF THAT LINE STARTS AT PIN21 AND STOPS AT PIN 26=SPKR- UP THE TOP
Most people will have got the patten

Pin 1 = Ground
Pin 2 = Bus+
Pin 3 = Bus-
Pin 4 = TXD
Pin 5 = RXD
Pin 6 = USB-
Pin 7 = USB+
Pin 8 = REST
Pin 9 = BUSY
Pin 10 = CTS
Pin 11 = RTS