Problems with Astro-Spectra Flash Upgrade

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jack

Problems with Astro-Spectra Flash Upgrade

Post by Jack »

First, let me give some details on the radio and software that I'm using:

Radio Model: M04UGF9PW5AN
FLASHCODE: 100004-000000-4
CP 000C
FW 11.08.01.00
DSP N08.02.02

Want to upgrade to 500008-000400-7
I'm using CPS ver R05.02.00

The radio is setup as a motorcycle radio and when we put it on the bench, we can read the radio codeplug and everything no problem. The last time the radio was programmed was in July 2002 with a DOS version of RSS. Again, we can read the codeplug on the radio.

When beginning the flash process, we cannot read the radio configuration. The error comes up and says "Failed to Bootstrap - Check all cables". I can even read the Flashkey config but it will not bootstrap and will not read the radio config under the flash process.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Any help would be appreciated.
akardam

Re: Problems with Astro-Spectra Flash Upgrade

Post by akardam »

Astro Spectras use a seperate cable (RKN4047) to conduct firmware and feature upgrades. A regular programming cable will not work.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Are you using the same cable you use to program the radio? Flashing the astro spectra requires a separate cable. I'm not sure the part no though it may be on batlabs.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

They also require a SmartRIB (RLN1015), not the common RLN4008 RIB.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks for the replies. The cable doesn't have a part number on it so I don't know for sure. The radio itself only has one DB25 port on the front of it, so that's connected to the head. The cable from the 2meg smart rib is plugged into the back. Unfortunately it's not marked but I'm guessing it's the wrong cable.
Jack

Post by Jack »

tvsjr wrote:They also require a SmartRIB (RLN1015), not the common RLN4008 RIB.
Got the RLN1015 and am able to flash the XTS's with it....
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Jack wrote:Thanks for the replies. The cable doesn't have a part number on it so I don't know for sure. The radio itself only has one DB25 port on the front of it, so that's connected to the head. The cable from the 2meg smart rib is plugged into the back. Unfortunately it's not marked but I'm guessing it's the wrong cable.
Wrong cable. The cable plugs into the keyload port, which should be above the left DB-25 on the radio deck.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Found the cable and found the port. Thanks for the info. It's upgrading as we speak!! :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hmmm, well about 95% through the upgrade, it says that it failed. Now is says removing codeplug from radio and it's just hanging on that. Maybe we have ourselves a nice brown brick now.
akardam

Post by akardam »

It probably isn't hung, per se. Often, I see problems where the first time a particular firmware file is used, and therefore has to be loaded into the SRIB, it fails right before actually flashing the radio.

I'd power the radio down, close out of CPS, reopen CPS, repower the radio, and start again.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

akardam wrote:It probably isn't hung, per se. Often, I see problems where the first time a particular firmware file is used, and therefore has to be loaded into the SRIB, it fails right before actually flashing the radio.

I'd power the radio down, close out of CPS, reopen CPS, repower the radio, and start again.
Yeah... every damn time. Scared me the first few times it did that... now I just write it off to a normal part of flashing (at least, when changing models).

You can look forward to a similar experience (and similarly long load time) when you upgrade the next XTS - as it will have to rewrite the XTS firmware into the SRIB brain.
akardam

Post by akardam »

tvsjr wrote:You can look forward to a similar experience (and similarly long load time) when you upgrade the next XTS - as it will have to rewrite the XTS firmware into the SRIB brain.
Unless you have two SRIBs...
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

akardam wrote:
tvsjr wrote:You can look forward to a similar experience (and similarly long load time) when you upgrade the next XTS - as it will have to rewrite the XTS firmware into the SRIB brain.
Only a serious wacker/mototard would have multiple SRIBs for his personal use. 8)
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

tvsjr wrote:
akardam wrote:
Only a serious wacker/mototard would have multiple SRIBs for his personal use. 8)

Oh no, I better sell one. LOL
Jack

Post by Jack »

haha, nice posts. :)

You were right. It hung but when I did what you said and read the radio, it came up fine in the new flash. Soooo, everything is good and all 5 radios are flashed. Only about 20 more to go!! :)
laramiecountyCERT
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: MTS2000, CDM1550 XTS5000

Post by laramiecountyCERT »

Would part #HKN6155A work for programming and flashing? Just asking as I am just now getting into Spectras and getting started in programming and flashing them.
Thanks
Peter
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Thats a programming cable for the astro specta plus and w series xtl 5k. That will not work for flash upgrading astro spectras or programming them.

Jason
Jack

Post by Jack »

I ended up getting both cables and had two Astro Spectra +'s come through the other day. Took me a while to figure out what it was because I had never programmed one before. Also found out that the Astro Spectra software doesn't work with the plus.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”