Astro radios have DPL problems?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Astro radios have DPL problems?

Post by escomm »

You can probably hex edit the list of available DPLs and replace one you won't be using with your DPL

This is how to make the Pro series radios do non-standard DPLs
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I have found on Pro Series that the radio is able to synthesize to the correct DPL code. I have not tried it with the Expert Series but I suspect it would work just the same. Since the DPL is just a bunch of 1s and 0s it shouldn't have an issue.... let me know how it goes for my own edification :)
RKG

Post by RKG »

This won't be much comfort, I suspect, but there is a sound reason why DPL526 is not supported. To quote Midian:

"DCS employs a fxed octal digit 4 as the first digit, followed by three octal digits shown in the table above. Code words are 23 bit-long strings: 12 bits of octal code, followed by 11
bits of CRC. Each bit is 7.5 ms, adding up to 172.5 ms per word. While it might appear that 512 codes are possible, only 83 exist, because a code word that is misaligned when serially shifted into the decoder can match a different code word."

526 is not one of the "approved" DPLs.
xmo

Post by xmo »

And here is what Motorola has to say on the subject of acceptable DPL codes:

"Due to inferior noise, voice, and adjacent code falsing - all 16-transition codes will be reserved for special use only.

The 35 non-symetrical codes that were found to be acceptable with respect to sensitivity and attack time were found to have a serious noise falsing problem...none of these 35 codes will be used."

With regard to the Astro & Astro25 radios not doing codes that low tier radios can do - I suspect that Motorola won't compromise performance on a high tier product whereas the marketing guys probably insisted that the low tier radios keep up with the competition regardless of the affect on performance.
MTS2000
What radios do you own?: HT1550, XTS3000, XTS5000

Post by MTS2000 »

Since this is 2014 now did Motorola ever change the DPL code issue in the Astro25 line with a Firmware update to allow for the missing DPL codes?

There's a local Parking company in Cincinnati that runs the Downtown parking and there repeater uses 526 DPL code which my XTS5000 doesn't support with R15.00 firmware.

Thanks

Dave
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

MTS2000 wrote:Since this is 2014 now did Motorola ever change the DPL code issue in the Astro25 line with a Firmware update to allow for the missing DPL codes?

There's a local Parking company in Cincinnati that runs the Downtown parking and there repeater uses 526 DPL code which my XTS5000 doesn't support with R15.00 firmware.

Thanks

Dave
I just looked on a codeplug in R20 Portable and 526 is not available.
MTS2000
What radios do you own?: HT1550, XTS3000, XTS5000

Post by MTS2000 »

Squad5 wrote:
MTS2000 wrote:Since this is 2014 now did Motorola ever change the DPL code issue in the Astro25 line with a Firmware update to allow for the missing DPL codes?

Thanks

Dave
I just looked on a codeplug in R20 Portable and 526 is not available.

OK thanks for your response guess I will just have to live without it in that radio. However you would think that for as much as those radios went for that they would have included all DPL codes for the customers choosing. But I have a XPR6550 which I'm sure will do 526 so not a total loss.

Thanks

Dave
N8DHW
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

526 is not a valid Motorola DPL so you will probably never see it in a radio that has a predefined list of valid DPL codes from which to select from
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

CPS allows 526 for both my 4550 and 7550.

Go figure.

Marshall

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”