possible to reduce 2500i signal range?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mistkeru
New User

possible to reduce 2500i signal range?

Post by mistkeru »

First post, apologies in advance if I missed the answer with my searches.

Situation: I am using 2500I model Motorolas at 2 camps that are roughly 10KM apart. The operators at each site can hear chatter from the other site which causes undo confusion.

The radios are provided in a pre-programmed state and I have no connector cables, software, or user guides available. The radios are all locked into one channel / frequency (z1-chan1) and all the other channels and zones are disabled or not set up.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is any way to reduce the range or power of the radios at one site so they can not send and receive communication from the other site? Is that something that can be done in service mode? I am no expert on radios by any stretch, so I may be approaching this problem completely incorrectly. If there is an easier way to keep the radios from overlapping, I'd be very happy to learn about it.

Thanks in advance,

-m
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: possible to reduce 2500i signal range?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If you're only licensed for one channel it can be done easily by your radio shop. Tell them to set up channels 1, 2 and 3 on the same frequency but with different tone codes. They'll know what this means and it will solve the problem. The only thing your people will have to do is to use the monitor button to be sure no one is talking at the other camp before they themselves try to transmit.

You can't do anything to effectively limit the range of the radios at a distance of 10KM.

Channel 1 is Camp A, Channel 2 is Camp B, and Channel 3 is both camps.

If, OTOH, you are licensed for two or three channels you can get set up on two or three different frequencies and then not have to moniitor before transmitting.

Basically what I'm saying is for you to turn the problem over to your radio shop and let them set it up for you. As I said above, they'll know how to handle things.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

While the radios are at the shop, perhaps they should also be set for low power?
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Low power would be a good idea on the Camp A and B channels, with high power on the all-call/channel 3 position, ya think? Sort of depends on how much range is actually needed for the individual camps, so if they themselves are big the low power setting might be a disadvantage. Plus which A & B will be essentially independent. I'm also thinking, after doing some more mental review, that the 10KM distance might not work all the time for the all call with a 4-watt portable doing the transmitting. 10KM works out to something like 5 or 6 miles which is a definite long haul for low-power simplex between HTs.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Personally, I'm trying to figure out who sold two camps XTS2500i radios when they need ONE CHANNEL. Talk about a waste.
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

tvsjr wrote:Personally, I'm trying to figure out who sold two camps XTS2500i radios when they need ONE CHANNEL. Talk about a waste.
I'm just guessing but I would say .gov, they are good at doing that kind of thing. (nothings to good/ cost to much when it's not your money)
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

tvsjr wrote:Personally, I'm trying to figure out who sold two camps XTS2500i radios when they need ONE CHANNEL. Talk about a waste.
At least I'm not the only one just a little perplexed by that.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I would venture to guess that this is a US Mil setup.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”