UHF Astro Spectra IMBE on Ham

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

caprice96
What radios do you own?: To many to list here.

UHF Astro Spectra IMBE on Ham

Post by caprice96 »

Does anyone know what it takes to make a UHF Astro Spectra (450-483) function in the ham band on IMBE?
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: UHF Astro Spectra IMBE on Ham

Post by n7maq »

caprice96 wrote:Does anyone know what it takes to make a UHF Astro Spectra (450-483) function in the ham band on IMBE?
If it will not do it now then you will need the R2 VCO and correct codeplug. It's best just to get a R2 radio.

Jim
caprice96

Post by caprice96 »

What range is an R2 radio?
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

caprice96 wrote:What range is an R2 radio?
R2 is A 438 to 470 band split. Perfect for Ham.

Jim
caprice96

Post by caprice96 »

Ok, thanks Jim appreciate the help, Ill start looking for one.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I believe the only way to come across a factory R2 438 - 470 MHz ASTRO Spectra P25 radio is to locate either the Motorcycle version, or the Low Power version (which will be set at 15 watts from the factory). In the latter case, I think it is the 25 watt max radio, detuned to 15 watts out of the factory. The radio generally is used in the Motorcycle arrangement, and it gets hot inside of the fiberglass housing.
caprice96

Post by caprice96 »

Ok, thanks for the info. Im working with N7MAQ to get one. Thanks for all your help.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from slapping a 40W Range 3 PA on the back of a Range 2 motorcycle radio either. Just check it on a service monitor after you do and adjust the power alignment accordingly. You should have no problem getting 40W on 446-450 TX.
d119

Post by d119 »

motorola_otaku wrote:Of course, there's nothing stopping you from slapping a 40W Range 3 PA on the back of a Range 2 motorcycle radio either. Just check it on a service monitor after you do and adjust the power alignment accordingly. You should have no problem getting 40W on 446-450 TX.
Thats exactly what I did - parts built a Range 2 ASTRO Spectra using a motorcycle VCO. Took some modifications to the ASTRO RF deck, but I used a 40W Range 3 PA and get 438-470 IMBE at 40W. Works fine.
Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Post by Mraudio »

I have 2 W4's with a R2 profile that I did nothing to except an alignment on that are R3's. The issue I had was making enough audio below 450 for the digital. Analog it worked fine. Now the radios have a test point low enough to work there. Good luck!
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Anyone have a S rec from one?

That would be very handy for a project I'm starting.
matt_tjaden

Post by matt_tjaden »

Dose anyone have a part number for a R2 RF board for an astro spectra? I built an AS out of a 450-482 spectra and a "Q" split AS. It works find in both annalog and digital but under 450mhz the radio comes up with "FAIL 001". I was thinking of putting a R2 board in it to see if that will fix it.
Matt Tjaden
KI4IPP
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

matt_tjaden wrote:Dose anyone have a part number for a R2 RF board for an astro spectra? I built an AS out of a 450-482 spectra and a "Q" split AS. It works find in both annalog and digital but under 450mhz the radio comes up with "FAIL 001". I was thinking of putting a R2 board in it to see if that will fix it.
You would need a new VCO, or mod your VCO.. The RF board for all UHF ranges is the same.
matt_tjaden

Post by matt_tjaden »

What is the part number for a R2 VCO? If I have to mod my old one, how is that done?
Matt Tjaden
KI4IPP
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

The easiest way is to paint the VCO stripline with a bit of conductive ink. You used to be able to get the conductive pens at RadioShack but it appears they no longer sell them in stores. They can be had on ebay at times too. You need to dab a bit along the stripline inside the square hole under the metal shield on the vco. Just use enough to bridge the dark laser cut lines. Program the radio with a mid split 438-470 S record and you should be good to go.

By the way, I found the above mentioned S record I was looking for. Thanks to those that have replied.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”