CPS won't enable radio lock on AS3

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

CPS won't enable radio lock on AS3

Post by 007 »

My AS3 woes continue:

CPS 5.03 grays out the mandatory radio password and password boxes. I am under the assumption that any AS3 can have a password entered, no? It's a KDH, 1C5E flash, R7.71.00, N8.03.03 and the DTMF keypad dialing works just fine.

Is this a CPS issue or a radio issue? I didn't know, so I'm starting here.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
MattSR

Re: CPS won't enable radio lock on AS3

Post by MattSR »

You using secure at all?

Post by 007 »

MattSR wrote:You using secure at all?
Yes. DES-XL and DVP with keys loaded. I just stuffed a 1C5E s-rec into it, so do I have conflicting info in the codeplug somewhere?
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

What version firmware is the secure module?
akardam

Post by akardam »

The CPS Help File wrote:Mandatory Password
(Display & Menus, Radio Lock)

Definition
[X] Causes the radio-user to enter the Radio Lock Password each time the radio is powered-up.
[ ] When disabled, the radio-user is then able to avoid entering the password by setting the Password to Null from the radio’s menu.
Note: The Radio Lock password may be changed by the radio-user through the “PSWD” Menu Item selection.

Accessed Only:
- When the radio is a display model, and
-- when the Radio Lock field is enabled, and
-- when the Secure Configuration, Secure Hardware Equipped field is disabled.
Emphasis mine...

Post by 007 »

akardam wrote:
The CPS Help File wrote:Mandatory Password
(Display & Menus, Radio Lock)

Definition
[X] Causes the radio-user to enter the Radio Lock Password each time the radio is powered-up.
[ ] When disabled, the radio-user is then able to avoid entering the password by setting the Password to Null from the radio’s menu.
Note: The Radio Lock password may be changed by the radio-user through the “PSWD” Menu Item selection.

Accessed Only:
- When the radio is a display model, and
-- when the Radio Lock field is enabled, and
-- when the Secure Configuration, Secure Hardware Equipped field is disabled.
Emphasis mine...
Huh. I'm an idiot. Thanks for that.

Now my rant: So I can't have a password with encyption loaded...yeah, that makes sense.
akardam

Post by akardam »

007 wrote:Now my rant: So I can't have a password with encyption loaded...yeah, that makes sense.
Well, if the help file is any indication, you can use a radio lock password with a secure radio, though how you'd input the password (since it disables not only the mandatory password checkbox but also the password box itself) isn't immediately clear. Maybe you have to have a PSWD menu-item and set it via the front panel?
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

When using secure with password enabled, the crypto module looks after the password management. If the password is entered wrong more than 3 times the keys are erased..

This is the setup I use on my radios - I recall the default password is 01234567 or similar but I dont remember the procedure for resetting it..

Post by 007 »

Well, only one way to find out...good thing I can readily re-key the radio without hassle.

I'd been utterly disgusted if I couldn't have a password on an ENC-equipped radio, as that makes no sense. Slowly I'm getting features enabled and squared away in the radio. We've just gotten some new freq templates and although I'm not dealing with fed.gov levels of key management and security with the radio, but I still want to keep unauthorized people out of it if the thing goes missing, etc.

Thanks for the help. Off to play...

Post by 007 »

MattSR wrote:This is the setup I use on my radios - I recall the default password is 01234567 or similar but I dont remember the procedure for resetting it..
Found an AS3 manual, which states that is the default password, but it didn't work for me. The manual makes reference to pressing a "select" button after entering the password.
akardam

Post by akardam »

007 wrote:Found an AS3 manual, which states that is the default password, but it didn't work for me. The manual makes reference to pressing a "select" button after entering the password.
Try the top side button maybe?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Funny story, somewhat related: You enable radio lock on an XTS5000 that has secure enabled, then the user changes their mind and asks you to remove it. So you uncheck the radio lock, reprogram the radio, and BEEP BEEP BEEP *KEYFAIL* even with infinite key retention enabled....... WTF over!
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Post by 007 »

It's because the crypto module takes over password management, and when you monkey with any part of that equation including radio lock, it gets pissy and dumps the key. Dork the password too many times, it gets pissy and dumps the key.

Ain't encrypted life grand?
Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Post by Mraudio »

So we still have no answer to the password? I have tried this before by setting the password then enableing the enc., the password still shows in the dialouge box (rss) but wont unlock the radio. Ive tried just about every combo and was never able to get it to unlock from power on.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Dump the keys first by using the top side button and pressing down on the top of the secure select switch simultaneously.

Then use 01234567 as the password and press the top side button.

Cheers,
Matt

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”