Astro Saber Convert a com???

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dfc2

Astro Saber Convert a com???

Post by dfc2 »

ANyone have first hand experience witht he Astro Saber Convert a com ( or whatever it's really called) Im looking for info on the Mic's for it. Is there a mic like the regular Saber convert a com with the buttons on it to control the radio. does the Astro Saber need specific programming to allow it's use etc?

I'v looked and can't even find a mic for the Astro Saber convert a com or any info about it on the web.

anyone ever see a catalog, or flyer for the AS convert a com, photo's, model numbers, anything?

thanks.

DFC2
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Re: Astro Saber Convert a com???

Post by 007 »

I believe the correct names are Saber Vehicular Adaptor (SVA) and Astro Vehicular Adaptor (AVA). The AVA needs it's own Astro version of the handheld control head (HHCH), and the firmware needs to match firmware in the AVA itself before it will work properly. The AVA HHCH looks different than the SVA HHCH

I have an AVA but have yet to use it in any manner. Moto_Okatu and others are better versed in AVA topics, so hopefully they can opine here.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Short version: Just let it go and pretend you never considered this combination.
Long version: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... va#p371596
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
dfc2

Post by dfc2 »

OK.. thanks for the help. the "Long" version of the previous thread helped...

I'm suprised Moto never went farther with it?

DFC2
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

dfc2 wrote:I'm suprised Moto never went farther with it?
There were serial bus communication issues. Biggest one I've run into is that the head/cradle will lose sync with the radio if you go skipping through channels too fast, requiring a power cycle of the radio. Also, there is a very specific power-up procedure that has to be adhered to for it to work, or you get a flashing FAIL 01/90.

Like resqguy911 said, they're cool toys but limited in their capabilities. And I retain my assertion that you're better off looking for an XTVA and XTSes.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”