Astro Spectra

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

racerman1cars

Astro Spectra

Post by racerman1cars »

Hi, I just received a 110 Watt uhf Q split radio,I have acess to a range 2 438-470 [or so] Digital vocon. will this low split radio go up to 462 with the r 2 vocon? or will components needs to be changed in the radio?
Thanks
Steve
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ
tvsjr

Re: Astro Spectra

Post by tvsjr »

No, VCO won't lock.
DPL

Post by DPL »

You will need to replace the VCO board, the preselector board, and probably the PA. These parts are interchangeable with the analog Spectras, so you should be able to get them cheaply. The vocons, as far as I know, are not band-dependent. So, if the firmware in the Q-split radio's vocon supports what you want to do (digital/analog) you don't have to change it, you just have to push an R2 s-record in. The main RF board is the same for the three UHF Astro Spectra bandsplits, so you do not need to change it.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

The VOCON, controller board, and RF board are not range-specific in the UHF Astro Spectra line. The VCO, PA, and preselector are, but they are also cross-compatible with their analog Spectra counterparts.

I highly recommend reading this thread: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... pectra+uhf all the way through.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”