XTS5000 button press issue

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

XTS5000 button press issue

Post by 007 »

My XTS5000 MIII is exhibiting a wierd issue that I've not encounted before when the side buttons or front buttons are pressed. About every 5 or 6 presses of any one of the buttons, the steady tone made when you push the button is replaced by rapid dits of the same tone. The most noticable is when monitor is pushed, it doesn't always just open the squlech, but rather pulses it like I'm rapidly pressing and releasing the button. It seems like it's an intermittent fault with the flex or something. Most button presses are fine, but then randomly it does this issue.

Radio is VHF, Host/DSP R14 and was recently flashed with a different FC. Is it buggy R14 firmware, or a legit physical issue?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: XTS5000 button press issue

Post by Mfire39 »

Yup, it's a firmware bug for sure. I've experienced this same problem to a "T" on multiple XTS5K's. It's almost like a stuttering beep sound on a button press or power up beep. It doesn't do it all the time and it's like you said, every 5 or 6 presses or power ups. I've had multiple XTS5K's start doing this at Host R12.00.18, and it looks like the bug carried into Host R14.00.01 now as the radios are doing the same thing.. Host R12.00.17 and lower does not have this problem.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Amazing.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Well then...anwsers that one. What a crock. :o
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

It also appears that so far, this bug is only in the XTS5000 firmware. I have not been able to duplicate this problem on any PR1500's, MT1500's, XTS2500's or XTL5000's with Host R12.00.18 through R14.00.01.

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

I've also confirmed that XTS5000's with RAM and Bravo Vocons both exhibit this same problem with a Host of R12.00.18 or higher, so it's not isolated to just the older or newer boards..

This is a perfect example of how "newer" or "current" firmware is not always better... In my opinion, R09.xx.xx was the last "good" version Moto released.. It seems like it all went downhill after that release in many ways..

-Marc

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”