XTS2500I with Issues

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

XTS2500I with Issues

Post by Fuel4300 »

So I have a Panter88 XTS2500I which I bought something like 3 years ago that suddenly started having major issues.

1. Speaker stopped working - no audio at all

2. Occasionally does not power up and always shows low battery alert

I opened the radio and found that the speaker flex had become unseated because the dark brown clip which holds the flex in place is broken - odd considering this radio has barely left my desk for years.... I cant get the flex to reseat properly because of the broken clip which bring me to my question;

Is the broken flex the root cause of both issues or is it something else? I dont see anything else visibly wrong with the radio but I also haven't cracked open the DSM yet to try and figure it out.

Anyone have any ideas on #2?
W6WAW

Re: XTS2500I with Issues

Post by W6WAW »

The broken clip on the flex socket is perhaps not too uncommon. I have had two with that problem. in each case, it was part of the white connector that had broken off at one end where the clip attaches. My radios had not experienced any apparent trauma, so it may be that the socket was either fractured to begin with or just made of a poor quality material that doesn't age well.

The only way to really fix it is to replace the connector. To do so almost requires a SMT rework station. A really skilled tech may be able to fix it without a rework station, but it is a pain to do so. Panter can supply you with a new connector. I think that he sells them as a set. His prices are reasonable, but the shipping may be more than the parts.

I have been told that it is sometimes possible to use a piece of tape and a piece of something stiff to hold the clip in place. That may work well enough for you to test your radio, but don't count on it as a long term repair.

I don't think that the power problem is related to the flex problem. Does the radio not power-up at all or just not have the display? Although the display uses the second, larger, flex it also requires that the smaller flex be connected to work properly.

I have an XTS2500 that worked fine when the case was open but which did strange things when it was closed up. I accidentally discovered that the main shield was somehow pressing on components under it when the radio was closed and apparently creating a short. I ended up insulating the underside of the shield with a piece of electrical tape and that solved the problem. As I recall, the are of concern was under the lower part of the shield.

Good luck.

Fred

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”