APX7000 Expansion Board & Encryption

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

APX7000 Expansion Board & Encryption

Post by Fuel4300 »

Where does the encryption algorithms physically reside in the APX7000? In the 'expansion board'?

The main speaker is connected through the expansion board so it does not operate without it. Also, curiously, the radio will power up but will not go into self test mode with the expansion board removed.

If the encryption does physically reside in the expansion board (MHLN6977A) then this is a departure from the Astro and Astro 25 lines where the encryption module is an add-on and not a integral part of the system.

I am guessing the answer is no but does Motorola make a jumper or blank board to replace the expansion board?
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Re: APX7000 Expansion Board & Encryption

Post by radioinstl »

The encryption IC (MACE- Motorola Advanced Crypto Engine) is part of the main controller board. All APX are encryption capable, they just need to be flashed for the algo you want.
Rod Farva
What radios do you own?: Way too many!!

Post by Rod Farva »

So this is a flash upgrade you have to order with a dongle if you want to add another form of encryption other then ADP?
I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA I WANT A GOD*&^*& LITER OF COLA!
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Rod Farva wrote:So this is a flash upgrade you have to order with a dongle if you want to add another form of encryption other then ADP?
Negative its done just like a xts algo upgrade with a KVL and a pcmcia flash card with your upgrade info on it. Also some of the gray market APX either have no MACE IC or its non functioning making software ADP the only choice.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

Grey market junk.....that is why I only buy new from Moto! I learned the hard way with an XTS...
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Eh, never said they were junk. I have seen some that look factory new inside and out, others not so much. I own one and it has no issues but I've seen others that look like they were trashed and re-cased. Funny thing was I actually had someone tell me most the APX on ebay and for sale used here are still under warranty; Obviously that's not true, most don't even have tags and 90% of those that do are homemade imitations.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

Good luck with it. Ebay...I bought a "like new" XTS5000R with all tags and still had lens protector on it.....one year later the feds came and took their stolen radio back leaving me with nothing for my money. It was just not worth taking a chance, bought my APX from moto with the options I needed. With our GSA discount the cost was around the ebay specials anyway.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”