Digital "all call" ID?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Digital "all call" ID?

Post by Pj »

Anyknow know if there is an "all call" (aka MDC FFFF) designation that can be used with the Motorola gear? I thought there is/was one, but I can't seem to find the info on it.

Use: make all the radios on the system beep via a subsciber unit, not a console.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
MRFLASHPORT

Re: Digital "all call" ID?

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

The Motorola Digital all call is: 65535
MrFlashPort
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Thanks. That number looks familar.....!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »

Since I just got a ASTRO Saber and have been playing around with some of the new things contained in the CPS I can across this old post trying to fimularize myself with some of the ASTRO topics...

So I ask...

(1) How would you set the radio up to receive the all call ID?

(2) How would you send the all call ID from the radio?
Brad - WA8IQO
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

(1) The whole point of an all-call ID is that the radio doesn't have to be specially set up to be alerted by it. ALL units currently monitoring will be alerted. ;)
(2) Make sure you're on an ASTRO personality and make sure you add PAGE or CALL to your menu items in CPS. On the radio, press the PAGE or CALL softkey, key in 65536 with the keypad (assuming you have a model 3), and press the PTT and start talking.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

That talkgroup 65535 is reserved as the hear-all, call-all, talkgroup for P25 conventional. It has nothing to do with P25 trunking.

To use it, you need to set up all radios in the fleet to use conventional talkgroups. This is done by checking the "Talkgroup" box under the Conventional Personality, Astro Talkgroup Options tab. The Astro Talkgroup List will also need to be filled out with all the talkgroups you want, and then these need to be strapped to the appropriate conventional personalities. Then, make sure all of the radios have their squelch type set to "Selective Squelch", as opposed to the default "Normal Squelch". This allows them to only unmute if they hear another P25 transmission with both the correct Network ID and Talkgroup--or the correct Network ID and TG 65535.

On Motorola radios, if you don't check the "Talkgroup" box (and use the default "Normal Squelch"), the radio just transmits talkgroup 1, and will unmute on any talkgroup as long as the Network ID value is correct.

The P25 conventional talkgroup all-call is completely separate from the P25 conventional Call Alert (PAGE), and Individual Call (CALL), but the PAGE and CALL functions are useful ones to add.
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »

I think I'm following you guys. I'm new to the hole P25 thing and found some other thread that lead me to some ABC's of it all. Its going to take me awhile to read it all but Ill get to it. As far as I can tell we have no P25 amateur system here in Michigan. I up graded to the ASTRO as I'm planning on moving to Florida by October if all goes well. I see that they have a few down that way so I was thinking a head...

Were do I go to read up on configuring the radio for use in a P25 System. Is there anything standardized as far as settings go on the amateur side or will I have to make contact with the ham group in that area to find out?

Also, I heard there was some nation wide simplex frequencies out there. Is this true? What are they? I've got 255 modes to fill and I'm currently on at 60. Seams like a lot of wast if I cant fill them... He, he! :-)
Brad - WA8IQO

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”