XTS5000 Weird TX Noise

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

XTS5000 Weird TX Noise

Post by escomm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-nzQG9B0KE

Came to me a few days with complaints it was happening, I could not reproduce, however radio was horribly out of alignment and so I realigned it. Then my buddy calls me last night and says it's still happening. Now the TX noise (which is actually a brief modulation of about 800Hz it seems) is happening across all test points within tuner.

Host R15.00.09 DSP R15.00.05 written with CPS 15

Any ideas? Of course Motorola says they never heard of any such thing and the radio needs to go to the depot
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Re: XTS5000 Weird TX Noise

Post by willbird287 »

It sounds like the RF board is cycling on off on off - sounds just like repetitive squelch crashes to me. (Compare the "Tx Noise" to the crash at the end of the MDC burst)

That said I don't know what could be causing it...try replacing the RF board with a spare?

--Will
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Radio is putting out full power throughout the ordeal, it's just like it's modulating a signal very briefly and on a repetitive basis. Have no idea why it wasn't doing it in tuner 2 days ago and now it is
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Post by willbird287 »

I'm assuming you've already opened it up and cleaned and checked connectors? I had a radio once that had constant carrier and transmit power but intermittent voice. Opened it up and found a super fine powder worked its way inside. Cleaned it all up and it worked great.

--Will
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I took the radio apart today again and didn't notice anything amiss, everything seemed OK, no dirt or crud or anything on the connector.

So I put it back together and put on the monitor and everything seems to be working OK now, no chuffle sound. If anything it may have been a loose flex connector from the mainboard to the front cover. I didn't take it apart any further than that. Going to rattle it around a bit and see if if the flex is intermittently loose or what.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Well this is some horse %$*&, sent to Motorola for flat rate, new RF board and Vocon, and the $(*@#)@ is still doing it. Can't imagine it's the mic since it happens in service mode. Back to the depot it goes...
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

escomm wrote:Well this is some horse %$*&, sent to Motorola for flat rate, new RF board and Vocon, and the $(*@#)@ is still doing it. Can't imagine it's the mic since it happens in service mode. Back to the depot it goes...
Unbelievable ! Seems that depot quality is going downhill as of recently. This is not the first story I have heard of a radio being sent back to the customer with the problem still existing.

Oh well, hopefully the second time is a charm :)

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”