would like to know groups opinion

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioguy31

would like to know groups opinion

Post by radioguy31 »

I am looking to get a digitial radio i was wondering which way i should go. xts3000 or astro saber please advise.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: would like to know groups opinion

Post by Josh »

radioguy31 wrote:I am looking to get a digitial radio i was wondering which way i should go. xts3000 or astro saber please advise.
I like the XTS3000. Why? It seems smaller and less cumbersome than the Astro Saber. It has been said that the XTS3000 has better audio than the Astro saber- 'less sharp' audio.

The XTS3000 is usually cheaper than the Astro Saber- there is a guy on the board selling them (model IIIs with a 'Cadillac' flash code for a very awesome price!).

My bias toward the XTS3000 also comes from the fact that in the past I dealt with the STX series of radios which where very large and obtrusive. I later switched to the MTX8000 which is the same size as the XTS3000 and simply liked it a lot more.

I guess someone like r0f could tell you better. He has both the astro saber and XTS3000, however, because you asked for my opinion, you have it!

-Josh
radioguy31

re thanks

Post by radioguy31 »

thanks for the opinion, now all i have to do is find one. i guess i will look for a xts3000 need one in uhf 450-520mhz.
Astro_Saber
Fail 01/90

Post by Astro_Saber »

actually the astro is more sturdy than the 3XXX series, they look flimsy.

the astro can be dropped and keep working.

and they are actually cheape than the 3xxx series. i picked up a AS3 kit got 3 extra batteries and programming of 160 personalities for under 1100.00 which is a steal compared to a 3xxx
Cpd014
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by Cpd014 »

Both are great radios but the Astro saber does have a better design to it that the Astro XTS3000 but they are both great radios so you might have to flip a coin to decide which one you want but the XTS has a little bit better audio but not by much and Ill have to agree the Astro saber is a little bit more durible so what ever suits your needs but the guy on ebay that is selling them has outstanding radios mint condition and lot of options installed in them so you wont go wrong with that guy in my opinion.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

It all comes down to personal pref's. My dept has been a saber dept since they were released. Our supervisors recently were issued XTS3000's, and they can't stand them. When I use my AS3 at work, all the guys want it.

They like how its nice and slim, and tends not to get in there way as much. They also hate the angled vol controls. I personally think its slick, but that me.

The cops and I also like the audio that comes out of the AS. Remember, you can adjust the vol levels for both radio's in RSS. Some radios may be adjusted too high, and hence some distortion. I have mine adjuested to 75 min vol, and -10 for aleart tones. I can crank up the vol, and have no problems. The XTS are at default I believe, and it tends to be very distorted at higher vol.

I don't think that the XTS's are all that wider, but the "snap" togehter contruction does concern me. You can also seem to find more AS accessories on Ebay, and they seem to cost less then the XTS's.

I have two AS3's, and I love them. Yes you can get the XTS's on Ebay loaded, but how long will he have them? Hopefully, for a long time if I decide to jump ship :) but I am not intending to do that. I just wish someone parts built Astro Spectra's the same way...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

It's not an astro but from an ergonomical aspect I too prefer the saber's over the jedi body. I used to use a systems saber on duty and all the guys kept commenting on how huge it appeared, compared to their bendix/kings. But, in reality it was the most comfortable radio I ever carried. You really start to notice it after a 12 hour shift. They are so slim that you tend to forget it's even there and controls seem to be nice and easy to access to me. I found the jedi series to be too fat. I also like the recessed ptt on the sabers. I never had an incident of something accidentally hitting the PTT (not a good thing!) The jedi ptt was always pushing against something. But then again I'm like 5'4" tall so the saber looked like it was dragging on the floor :oops:

not that anyone cares but I felt like typing today.....

mancow
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

r0f wrote:Don't forget guys, that the ASTRO Saber's can also be used as a secondary weapon, if the bad guy gets your gun or maglite.

*SMACK*

Try that with an XTS...

Shaun
I still like the XTS. I suppose after years of using GP300s and GP350s that the size difference is not that much and the average bulk is what I am used to. I find that any radio whose battery straps to the bottom can easily become a monster sized radio where, at least, with models that strap to the back of the radio there really cannot be much size difference.

Also, in respect to the 'snap together' body. Most police officers (maybe all of them) here use their XTS radios with a holster. This protects it from the dings and scrapes and the slim chance that the radio may ever 'fall apart' on someone. I like the XTS over the MTSX line because the battery and the belt clip fit on differently. The MTSX line was/is full of faults that may cause the radio to fall off a belt or battery holding tab to break causing decresed battery security. With the XTS, the battery latch is on the bottom and is a button with a metal locking mechanism direct to the chassis of the radio. In order for the belt clip to come off, you have to take the battery off first.

-Josh
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Well, the snap construction, its not so much that the radio will just fall apart (well it is), but that the AS are screwed in, and is physically locked into the case. The XTS is just "snapped in". Over time the plastic becomes fatigued and proned to cracks/breaks.

Use and conditions will depend on useful life. Most of the older radios were bolted in, and a pain to break. The AS's belt clip runs along the chasis, and is all metal. You cannot take off the beltclip without taking off the battery mount, so unless you break the plastic belt clip, its not going anywhere.

As for battiers, they come in all sorts of lenghts depending on capacity, and manufactur. I have seen some really short batteries that make the saber look really funny. So, you can get a smaller footprint in a astro saber, but its going to be by way of height. On the XTS, I have seen some fat batteries that really widen the radio.

As for features, the radios both support the options. The only thing that I don't like, is the ABC button on the XTS. This button can and does get knocked around, and if programmed, may change a zone, channel or feature on you without your knowledge. In one case, a Sgt was calling for an ambulance, and no one heard him. Somehow the ABC went from A to C and his radio no longer transmitted.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

Sounds like the SGT had to blame something other than himself. Bad guys always need a ambulance after "tripping" down some stairs. :o

I'm on team Astro Saber as I own 2 of each and use the AS when I want to be heard 100%.

mike
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Well, just my opinion, but...

I've played with a Saber before, and they are pretty nice.

I've also played with an XTS3000R with no display or anything...

Personally, I hate the feel of the Saber, but I agree, the XTS just seems to cheap to be useful - too much like a toy, or a cellphone.

Mike
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

I have owned an astro saber III, and sold it within 3 months. Why? the damn thing is too BIG !! Try putting it somewhere in your vehicle, without it falling on someone, and killing them :) Can;t fit on the visor, like the XTS. Now, don't get me wrong, the astro saber's have to be without a doubt the most durable radio Motorola has made, but, if you don't have a belt clip/holster for it, forget it lol . I like the jedi series style much better. For one, I almost always carry my portable with me, (especially in the truck), and its much easier to carry around then lugging that astro around. I traded the astro for a mt, (and still waiting for my half of the cash, which I think I'll never see, but that's a different story for a different time:)

My opinion, go with the XTS for "mobility", and go with the saber for duribility/weapon usage.

MT2K man

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”