interesting P25 article

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

interesting P25 article

Post by batdude »

BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: interesting P25 article

Post by bezking »

Wasn't P25 radio authentication supposed to encrypt the packet header? Or am I off base?

As for the clear/secure issue, disable the switch, slave everything to secure, and OTAR those users who lost the keys... Right?
Last edited by bezking on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

bezking wrote:Wasn't P25 radio authentication supposed to encrypt the packet header? Or am I off base?

As for the clear/secure issue, disable the switch, slave everything to secure, and OTAP those users who lost the keys... Right?
They lose their key somehow and 1) can't call their team and 2) can't ask for an OTAR.
d119

Post by d119 »

*sigh*. A high power transmitter on the control channel output or on the conventional repeater output in close enough proximity to an operation will also render the subscribers useless.

This is a non-issue in my mind, except for the encryption being switched off.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

bezking wrote:Wasn't P25 radio authentication supposed to encrypt the packet header? Or am I off base?
Nope. Makes life great for an adversary engaged in the 70 year old discipline of SIGINT known as traffic analysis.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

d119 wrote:*sigh*. A high power transmitter on the control channel output or on the conventional repeater output in close enough proximity to an operation will also render the subscribers useless.

This is a non-issue in my mind, except for the encryption being switched off.
The most successful attack is the kind where your adversary doesn't know he is under attack. This fits that bill nicely.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”