XTS5000 QCII Decode

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

XTS5000 QCII Decode

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

I once again come to the great minds here at batlabs,

I have a VHF XTS5000
Model # H18KEH9PW7AN
Flash Code 5A0088-001D86-4
Firmware: R12.00.11
DSP: R12.00.01

When setting up the QCII< I can not get the radio to decode tones, but have not problems encoding. Any ideas?
tvsjr

Re: XTS5000 QCII Decode

Post by tvsjr »

What are you encoding with? The A25 radios are very tight on tolerances... PL, QC2, etc. Your encode source may be slightly off frequency - close enough for a Minitor, but not for an XTS.
3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

tvsjr wrote:What are you encoding with? The A25 radios are very tight on tolerances... PL, QC2, etc. Your encode source may be slightly off frequency - close enough for a Minitor, but not for an XTS.
Our radios and stations are encoded with a motorola centracom gold elite dispatch console. I have checked with dispatch and the radio shop, the tones I have entered into the CPS are the ones that are being sent by the console.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The tones are never equal - there's always some tolerance. Have you looked at the repeater output with an analyzer? Overdeviated tones, tones slightly off freq., etc. will cause you problems.

I've had similar issues before, even with relatively modern equipment. I've got a portable repeater that uses a TS-64 to generate its PL... and it's just not tight enough tolerance for the XTS. One of the good and bad parts of DSP...
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Do you have the unmute rule set correctly? That usually is the cause of it not alerting.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

This is how it is set up.

Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Probably a dumb question, but you do have the RX signaling type set to QCII for the conventional personality you are trying to decode the tones on right?

Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

Yes. If not the other options would be grayed out on the QCII page
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Just trying to cover all the bases..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
26M10

Post by 26M10 »

3-SAM-12 wrote:
tvsjr wrote:What are you encoding with? The A25 radios are very tight on tolerances... PL, QC2, etc. Your encode source may be slightly off frequency - close enough for a Minitor, but not for an XTS.
Our radios and stations are encoded with a motorola centracom gold elite dispatch console. I have checked with dispatch and the radio shop, the tones I have entered into the CPS are the ones that are being sent by the console.
I concur with this..

I have an XTS5000 that won't decode our fire tones because it is too picky...Our Gold Elite over modulates the tones and the 5000 won't decode the over modulated signal

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”