W3 Astro spectra out of band "sorta"

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

W3 Astro spectra out of band "sorta"

Post by Radiogeek97 »

folks

I have a 110w w3 astro spectra 453-488mghz the problem i am having is that when operating in the P25 mode on a repeaterized MIXED Mode narowband channel close to the radio's bandsplit ie: 487.98xxx the radio wil not access the repeater. I can talk simplex to an astro 25 portable however the w3 mobile even when xmitting on p25 simplex close to 488 limit has an awful; delay before the portable will decode audio. The radio will talk conventional on the same repeaterized channel crystal clear. The radio will also talk p25 simplex and repeaterized Very well on channels in the 472.000mghz range.
I was told by a reliable motorola guy that these astro spectras did not like going "out of band" in p25 However the radio really is not yet out of band (which is 488.000mghz. I am wondering what exactly the problem is here will the radio have to be tuned to pass p25 audio close to this 488 limit or am i just out of luck. The frustrating thing is i am close to but not quite over the radios band limit. I have had 3 people check the codeplug so i am positive i have no errors there. I have access to all the legit software and have a buddy with a local MSS. Any suggestions on what to try or adjust would be appreciated.

thanks
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: W3 Astro spectra out of band "sorta"

Post by jmr061 »

First thing would be to get the radio aligned/tuned. Then go from there if the problem still exists.

Jason
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

belive it or not it was new old stock so I am not sure if i need to ??
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I would still have it checked.

Jason
d119

Post by d119 »

Agreed. Alignment is most critical at the band edges. Deviation and high/low compensation are critical to P25 operation.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

I hope my buddy has that ability, at his place. Hopefully it will work considering that we are just inside of the 488mghz factory spec. The other weird thing is that the cps before final programming throws an out of band warning that some or all the freq's are outa band yada yada yada However None of the freqs in it are. strange
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Well the CPS usually doesnt lie. I bet your have the 450-482 model.

Jason
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Being new old stock this radio came sealed in the factory box, and the factory tags indicate 453-488mghz. that being said one guy told me that this was an "sp" product mabee fed.
d119

Post by d119 »

Whats the model number on the tag? It's likely x04RKF9PWxANSP01 or something similar. These 453-488MHz radios are very popular in "T Band" areas such as NY/NJ and Los Angeles, where some agencies are on the 453MHz public safety band, and others are on 484MHz. The reason this split was created is so that the lower-end T-band (below 488MHz) could still have interop with the 453MHz public safety band and vice versa. The disadvantage is that there are public safety assignments in T-band all the way up to 506MHz+, so it wouldn't work for folks in that part of the band.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Well here is a little bit of an update I looked up the model number (t04rlh9pw3an) of the w3 spectra that i have. Now the R in the model number indicates 453-482 split. The strange thing is that the origional box/sticker clearly lists the freq range as 453-488mghz. there is no "SP" in the model number to indicate a fed/type special build but the sticker seems to be in conflict with the "R" in the model numer. I see a few of these radios out there could anybody shed some light ont what exactly this radio can and cant do. I am fairly certain that the radio will have to be tweaked to get the P25 tx/rx where it should be at 487.98xxx but who knows

thanks

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”