Astro Spectra 800 W7 HELP!

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

saberhack
New User
What radios do you own?: Spectra, Saber, Mts2000 Gm300

Astro Spectra 800 W7 HELP!

Post by saberhack »

I am in need of a codeplug for dos rss or an S-record ASAP for the Astro Spectra 800mhz with a W7 control head. My Dash radio went into a FAIL 0 I pulled it and have come to the conclusion the the s-record is corrupt. my flascode allowed for IMBE Astro Digital Operation, SmartZone with omnilink, Digital ID display. I have a trunk mount s record on file but the flashcode is wrong and its for a W9. :x

Thanks.
saberhack
New User

Re: Astro Spectra 800 W7 HELP!

Post by saberhack »

If anyone one can help I'll take a whored s-record or even non astro as long as its for the W7 head. Also if anyone is familiar with modifying s-records I could use a little help I have a trunk mount W9 non astro radio I pulled an S-record from but cant get the model number change to go right.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

What fail code? Ususually its a hardware problem.... Kinda hard to determine that its a "srec" problem if you can't read the radio...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
saberhack
New User

Post by saberhack »

the fail code is a "FAIL 0" I can read and write the S-Record I put the trunk mount S-Record in it and it works, However on the W7 head some of the buttons do not work because it is looking for the Trunk mount head W9. I can also read and write the codeplug with the trunk mount S-Record in it.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

saberhack wrote:the fail code is a "FAIL 0" I can read and write the S-Record I put the trunk mount S-Record in it and it works, However on the W7 head some of the buttons do not work because it is looking for the Trunk mount head W9. I can also read and write the codeplug with the trunk mount S-Record in it.

Have you tried to program those buttons that you say don't work? You know you have to tell the radio and head what you want the buttons to do. Go into the control section of the programming and set the buttons. There is little difference between the W7 and the W9 control head except more buttons on the head.

If your so set on the W7, then hack the radio and change the type of control head it has. there is all sorts of info on how to do it. the Mike B site has all the details on the heads and hacks.

Jim
saberhack
New User

Post by saberhack »

The first thing I tried was programming the buttons I can't use the home or the dim buttons. thanks for the help tho. The Mike B site I found only covers Non Astro Radios. I understand bit-banging all ready but have been told thats a no go with the Astro Spectra.
Pj

Post by Pj »

If anything, it sounds like you have a W7 head on a radio setup for a W9 head
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
saberhack
New User

Post by saberhack »

The Model number is D04UJH9W7AN. Ii was working fine until It rebooted over and over when I had the heat on on the car and went into a "Fail 0" Never been modded or hacked. It is Def a W7 I put a W9 S-record into it to see if it would come alive and it did so its the s-record for sure.
Pj

Post by Pj »

I'd advise that you blow back in your original srec and see what happens. Sounds more like a hardware failure than anything else. I've personally never seen a radio "revived" in the way that your describing after a failure like that bnot saying it didn't happen, just unusual.

By stated that you had the heat on, where was the radio in ration to he heater and for how long? Dash or remote mount?

I have had radios hat would not turn on in cold weather an would show the fail 1/90 an it was due to cracked solder joint (just enough to work when it was over 60 outside).

What troubleshooting steps have you taken? How long have you had this radio? Is it used conventionally or on a trunked system? Personal or agency owned? Have you swapped out commoners Nd if so, which ones?
saberhack
New User

Post by saberhack »

I tried the original s-record after I put the W9 S-record in it. and it went back to a fail 0. I used some s-rec to binary tools to look at and compare the two s-records. The original W7 one is only 2Kb with all sorts of screwed up data in it the model number was half missing and the serial number was not even listed and the W9 is 25Kb and looked fine, contained both model and serial number in two locations along with channel names. Its a Personal radio used both on conventional and a test trunked system a shop owns and uses for rental radios. I am authorized to be on his system and he is fully aware. The location for the radio is in a center console. I had a tire blowout due to derbies on the highway, I forgot and left the heat on floor while i was changing the tire. When I got back in the car it was rebooting I turned the radio off, When i turned it on hours later Fail 0. It is a dash mounted radio.
Pj

Post by Pj »

If your shop owner has other radios, try swapping out the vocon's, I'd lean towards a hardware issue, changing the srec's won't do anything for you.
saberhack
New User

Post by saberhack »

I got a hold of an s-record matching my model and flashcode options. Radio is working again. Guess its one error code that is purposefully left out of the service manual so you send to the depot.
Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”