Questions about AN and BN XTS2500's

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pump3

Questions about AN and BN XTS2500's

Post by Pump3 »

Hey guys
I have a AN XTS2500, and recently purchased a new Model III case from panter88 but it wasn't until after I bought it that I found from reading on here that there are more differences between a AN and a BN then just the memory, the radio chassis is slightly different on a BN with two metal tabs that interlock with the housing, making a AN radio in a BN case not seat properly...

Are the metal tabs on the BN chassis part of the main metal frame that the boards mount to? thats what I think of when I hear chassis but just want to be double sure

and secondly is there any problems mounting a AN radio (the boards themselves) onto a BN frame?
from what i'm gathering I may be on the hunt for a BN frame now, should of did more homework.....thanks in advance!
gopher

Re: Questions about AN and BN XTS2500's

Post by gopher »

the plastic tabs on the side of the BN house interfere with the AN radio board. Solder a 1" piece of hacksaw blade to a screwdriver. a few piece of blue painters tape on the opposite side of the blade after it cools to prevent scratching the plastic. carefully use the tool to cut down the tab. you can add more tape or add a spacer to cut further in. As far as cut depth measure a AN case to see how far you gotta go down. good luck it works if your careful does not look to bad
Batwings21

Re: Questions about AN and BN XTS2500's

Post by Batwings21 »

Ok here are a few facts I can recall about the xts2500's, pr/mt/xts1500's

AN radios have 4megs of flash memory, BN have 8megs

AN radios came originally in the older housings with the finger indents on the sides, BN radios came in the newer housing.

AN radios that needed there case changed could have been fitted with the newer chassis (steel plate on the back) and housing and look just like a BN. There is a document on MOL I remember seeing that detailed what combinations of parts could be swapped.

You can as stated cut the plastic ribs off the newer case and they will fit the older rear chassis.

So in conclusion the only thing that determines AN or BN is the circuit board, identified by the amount of flash memory on it. The housings commonly referred to as AN and BN are really just newer and older housings as there are AN radios in the newer cases.

edit: Oh and if you replace the rear chassis, make sure the thermal pads line up with the components they did on the older chassis.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”