books / resources to learn about servicing radio gear?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

docred
What radios do you own?: semaphore flags (digital).

books / resources to learn about servicing radio gear?

Post by docred »

I am interested in working on my own radio gear, doing some repairs, diagnosing and swapping out problem parts/boards, alignment, buying several broke radios on ebay and making 1 working radio, stuff like this. maybe when I learn something helping the local repeater clubs work on stuff.

I have been an ham since jr high, did biomed engineering as an undergrad, so have taken 200 level college courses on circuit theory and design, digital logic, etc. am comfortable with albeit kind of rusty with soldering/desoldering. Have clipped diodes and replaced fuses, simple type stuff on ham gear. Pretty comfortable with various moto/icom/kenwood programming software, so I am not a complete idiot starting with nothing, and I understand some of the gear I might want to do this stuff gets kinda spendy. I also understand I will probably brick a few radios on my learning journey. Mostly interested in doing this just for doing it.

So, all that said, what resources would are recommended? Mostly looking at books and learning materials to start, but of course also gear as well.

Books?
Websites? (I've searched around, found a few so far.)
Manuals?
YouTube Channels?
Other resources?

Gear wise, have basic soldering stuff, basic fluke meter, cheapshit SWR meter, cheapshit freq counter, good set small screwdrivers, some patch cables. What else?

As far as monitors, IFR 1200 has been recommended, any other monitors that are good to look at? I see pretty huge variations in price. I may be able to get access to one through local ham club and hold off on big investment for the time being.

Thanks for any helpful recommendations you can share.
docred

Re: books / resources to learn about servicing radio gear?

Post by docred »

I see there is a lot of discussion about "what is the best service monitor" on the board.
jry

Post by jry »

Usually the best way to learn is by doing and making mistakes along the way.

The service manuals often have pretty detailed theory of operation and trouble shooting guides for the specific piece of equipment. This information can often be leveraged across a number of manufacturers an models

Spent a huge amount of time reading those and looking at the schematics to understand what was going on inside the hardware. ( there is a reason why they make the manuals )

Often time the service manual is not available to does not go deep enough and in that case the data sheet on the core components can offer enough information to work a problem as well.

If you are on the bench discreet pieces of test equipment are far better in most cases than a single service monitor ever will be .

The service monitors for the most part are intended to provide a field solution or a very targeted test process at best.

The quality of the service monitor varies with manufacturer but ease of use and long term support are also major considerations.

The later IFR 1200 is very easy to use in the field and the major unique part would be the CRT's which seem to have a very long life . The actual measuring capability is decent and usually good enough for repairs but final alignments for current radios I would do on something more accurate.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Tuning & alignment procedures for Motorola radios will be found in either CPS help files or service manuals, depending on the model.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Oh boy. Generally, it's plug yer nose, and jump into the deep end of the pool.

You know, back in the olden days, there were actual classes on basic electronics, but you had to get hands on time to learn how to troubleshoot and repair. It takes a while to learn how to solder well. But, everything had a service manual with a detailed theory of operation, and people were willing to spend the money to repair and maintain things. You read the manual, and dug in. If you were lucky, you had a working one to compare voltages and signal levels. After a while, it just soaked in how to do it, and when new stuff came along, it was that much easier to figure out.

Nowadays, everything is low cost modular design. You replace a black box. Generally the one with the red alarm light on it. You may or may not have to understand how it all knits together. Sometimes hammering on a keyboard fixes stuff. Kind of like the old days of banging the case, but now you do it in software. Wires and power still seem to the be the most common problem. And there is a whole lot less soldering. But, if you do solder, generally its with a hair dryer now.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Two books by Harold Kinley:

"Standard Radio Communications Manual with Instrumentation and Testing Techniques"

"The Radioman's Manual of RF Devices - Principles and Practices"
docred

Post by docred »

I ordered both the Kinley books. Thanks much!. Looks like exactly what I was looking for.

I have a few service & theory manuals, I will keep the radar up for more.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Kinley used to have a monthly technical column in the old Mobile Radio Technology magazine.

He teaches at the practitioner level rather than at some esoteric theoretical level.

His books will give you good guidance.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Definitely thanx for the book titles. We are trying to figure out how to train new techs so some of us can retire.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

Harold has his own website:

http://www.haroldkinley.com/
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

xmo wrote:Kinley used to have a monthly technical column in the old Mobile Radio Technology magazine.

He teaches at the practitioner level rather than at some esoteric theoretical level.
Those columns were great. I would love be able to purchase a full collection of them. It would be a great resource.
Will

Post by Will »

xmo wrote:Kinley used to have a monthly technical column in the old Mobile Radio Technology magazine.

<snip>
I really miss the old Mobile Radio Technology magazines, I still have most of my back issues. Kinley's articles were very informative.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

xmo wrote:Two books by Harold Kinley:

"Standard Radio Communications Manual with Instrumentation and Testing Techniques"
I just ordered and receive this manual. Although it's a bit dated as it related to the type of test equipment used, it's still very relevant. It goes through step-by-step testing procedures of AM, FM and SSB radios. Good theory and detailed explanations of the testing procedures.

I would highly recommend this book for the beginner, or seasoned radios tech.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Harold just had quadruple bypass surgery so if you're trying to buy his book direct from the author on Amazon you'll have to wait a bit.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Commun ... O5EB9LIP47

This book is part of the study materials for the APCO radio technician test.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
docred

Post by docred »

ordered a used copy of that one also, looks intriguing.
morbat
New User

Post by morbat »

"Land mobile Radio Systems" by Edward Singer was a good book too. It might be a little dated now but still is a useful reference once in a while.
JohnDo

Post by JohnDo »

The R2200 Service manual is a good read as well, describes the functionality of the features of the service monitor and at the end of the manual it has information on how to connect equipment to the service monitor.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”