R20xxD CRT replacement?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

440roadrunner

R20xxD CRT replacement?

Post by 440roadrunner »

Haven't been here in "awhile." I thought I heard a rumor of a solid state CRT replacement for these? Anyone ever ADAPTED a different CRT? This is for home use it's not in commercial service. A drive through EFray turned up a number of Russian? imports of various kinds

Just yanked the CRT out and got everything off it I could find

Says Magnavox Government and Industrial Electronics Company

Electron Tube division

General Atronics Corporation

an "M" and "216" in a circle, inspection?

M1409P31

P/N 96-80396A98

95-P09122T001

Substitute? Specs? Operating voltages?

Mine still works but getting fairly dim

Thanks in advance
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: R20xxD CRT replacement?

Post by DJP126 »

I have also heard rumors of a replacement CRT for the R2000 "D" series but have NEVER seen one & considering the re-engineering it would take, I doubt it exists. That said, I'll tell you what I can about yours.

Magnavox Government and Industrial Electronics Company - This was the ORIGINAL supplier of the CRT to Motorola. During manufacturing of the R2000 "C" series, a different supplier was chosen because of a HIGH failure rate of the Magnavox tubes.

an "M" and "216" in a circle, inspection? - Yes inspection.

8608 - Date code

P/N 96-80396A98 - Original Motorola C & E part number. Later replaced by RPX4???A (I think it might be 4207 but not sure. It's hell getting old!).

95-P09122T001 - Original part number for Motorola Government Electronics Division (now part of General Dynamics). What different part numbers for different divisions? Yeah I know, not my idea.

I don't know if Motorola still carries the RPX replacement CRT. Last I knew, the price was $1400. Good luck.
Dave
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

I've been pawing around. Missed what might have been "a deal" Some guy had a whole pile of CRTS on th' Bay which went cheap. I simply forgot to check in and bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Oscillosco ... 35d1f229fc

Nothing I have "junk" will even fit physically. I'm not sure, other than operating voltages, what might be so special about these, and of course the fact that they have a proprietary number, and CRTs are no longer the "in" thing

Round tubes go from 3 to 5" so far as I know, so a 5" won't fit

Anything I have out of old HP stuff is far too long

And theone in my Tek 475 is too long.

There's some Russian stuff showing up on the Bay. I'm going to 'xperiment.

OF course so far as bench work, if things really really get that bad, I can tap into it and feed it off to my O'scope.
gmjk58
New User

Post by gmjk58 »

I too have been waiting for the much fabled LCD replacement, but maybe 440roadrunner has the best idea by replacing the CRT. I have come across a Leader X-Y display model LBO-51MA. Works great as an external display for the R2000. The Leader's CRT will fit the Moto's chassis physically. I understand that the the X, Y, and Z voltage levels from the R2000 will have to be adjusted to that of the Leader's original levels.

Any thoughts on the high voltage side of a CRT swap?
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

The Maggetvox CRT was a real piece of crap. Every R20XX unit I have was updated to the Telefunken CRT.

You can tell the difference with the focus control. If the focus range is long and mushy, you have a Maggetvox. If the focus is very sharp and in a very small range on the control, you have the Telefunken. Consider yourself blessed.

As for LCD replacement, don't hold your breath.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”