Project on Radio Test Equipment Calibration - Help needed!

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

samallen15
New User

Project on Radio Test Equipment Calibration - Help needed!

Post by samallen15 »

Hi - I have a unique request but I am hoping you all can help me out!

I am doing research on the different companies that offer repair and calibration services for two way radio testing equipment. For example, calibration services for the Motorola R2600 series communication systems analyzers. A couple examples of companies I have found are:

Auburn Metrology Lab - http://auburnmetrologylab.com/
Cardinal Electronics - http://www.cardinalelec.com/index.htm

I was wondering if there are any large companies that are the well-known, go-to company for calibration and repair services, or if there are mostly smaller companies like the two above?

Also, if anyone works in the first responder industry (police, fire, ambulance, etc.), who do you all use for test equipment calibration? It seems like this would be a big opportunity for a company who offers these services.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help me out!
Bill_G

Re: Project on Radio Test Equipment Calibration - Help neede

Post by Bill_G »

It is a rarefied field, and one where I started my career in the service. Not many groups do cal except the OEM and a few labs like Auburn. I don't have the list in front of me, but we do have a few we use depending on the equipment, Auburn being one of them.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

NIST traceable calibrations are NIST traceable calibrations....................
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

Do a search on Google using "rf test equipment metrology" and you will see some of the larger companies you speak of.

+1 for escomm but what if the company you choose to do your cal doesn't have the password to reset the cal timer in your box?
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

I used to go to a company called EML, and Davis Innotek, they both got out of the calibration business in the Pacific Northwest. Now everything gets sent to the mfr. Using and Aeroflex 3500A mostly these days. It goes back to Aeroflex for calibration.

The Motorola and General Dynamics test sets go to Mother M.
crash
What radios do you own?: R2001C

Post by crash »

We use the Collins cal van at work.
They have a huge trailer that comes to our shop and goes through our test equipment.

It is expensive, but worth it for us.

Jeff N8CMQ
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”