Intermittant operation... Still...

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

crash
What radios do you own?: R2001C

Intermittant operation... Still...

Post by crash »

My R2001C has been a challenge, and it has been going easier than I first thought it would,
but... It is still intermittent in some functions. If the generator or spectrum analyzer fail,
the frequency counter still works. Then, when I go back to use the generator, it is working.
And it seems to stay working once it starts to work.

So I have replaced all the electrolytic caps, but in the HV supply, all the voltages are normal,
and when it works, it works well.

I had an intermittent RCA connector that I repaired, and the switching circuit seems to work
properly, but as the problem is intermittent, who knows ;)

Has anyone else had the generator and spectrum analyzer quit but still have the frequency
counter still work? When the spectrum analyzer quits, the noise display is quite large.

As I am still learning to use the functions, I do not know what else may be failing and what
keeps working. Is there something else I should check?
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Intermittant operation... Still...

Post by DJP126 »

Sounds to me to be a problem in the RF Synthesizer (the fat module in the center of the card cage). This module contains four phase looked loops. Any one of those going out would produce the symptoms you describe. That module is common between the A,B & C models, so any maint manual should help, if you can find one.
Dave
crash
What radios do you own?: R2001C

Re: Intermittant operation... Still...

Post by crash »

I have the proper manual, now I just need an extender card.
Time to get out the etchant...
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”