R2001C RF internal wattmeter calibration

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cahighwayman22

R2001C RF internal wattmeter calibration

Post by cahighwayman22 »

Hello.

Anyone familiar with the calibration procedure for calibrating the internal wattmeter on the R2001A/B/C SM's? The book doesn't anything about a calibrating procedure. There are two pots on the RF wattmeter board (labeled R122 "GAIN" and R143 "OFFSET").

The wattmeter reads fine on UHF, but is about 25W low on VHF.

-Thank you

-Trevor
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: R2001C RF internal wattmeter calibration

Post by DJP126 »

Your problem is not likely just a cal problem. We used the gain and offset adjustments to balance the DC voltages between a 10X gain in wattage (we commonly used 5W and 50W RF in). The different reading accuracy between UHF & VHF is USUALLY caused by a bad impedance between the frequencies. Most likely you are looking for a component that is causing a linearity problem. Main possibilities are AT2, K101, CR111, R106 (selected value could be wrong), CR105 or one of the chip caps in the circuitry in those areas.
Dave
cahighwayman22

Post by cahighwayman22 »

I did find CR110 and CR111 to be bad. Motorola only shows there part number for those diodes. My father had me replace them with 1N5711 diodes.

It did make a little difference, but the VHF side is still low.

BTW, are those relays still available? Cause if that's bad (Or AT2) then I may be SOL.

Thank you

-Trevor
cahighwayman22

Post by cahighwayman22 »

I fixed the problem. The S101 reed coil was bad, and so was CR105. I replaced both from a spare RF module that had one good coil (the other coil was burned to bits, which makes me think someone applied too much RF for too long).

The A B C models sure are fragile when it comes to applying RF into the I/O port. I wouldn't even apply 100W for more than 5 seconds every hour. Lol

This must be why the D series has the power attenuator at the RF I/O port before the relays.

-Trevor

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”