MFJ-269C Antenna Analyzer ?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

MFJ-269C Antenna Analyzer ?

Post by arlojanis »

I am looking for information from users of MFJ-269C. Does it give good results testing VHF and UHF antennas?
"The world runs on radio."
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Re: MFJ-269C Antenna Analyzer ?

Post by Andy Brinkley »

I have the 259 version, works great from HF to VHF.
The only gotcha that I have ever had with it is that it is useless if you are trying to field tune an antenna that is in a high RF environment.
Andy / NC4AB
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I've had mine for quite some time and it seems to work well. However it EATS AA batteries. Even though the power switch is completely mechanical, it still seems to drain them when sitting completely turned off. That's the kind of thing you expect with a soft power switch, one that always has some current running through it.

I noticed they have another version now that extends the UHF coverage.

Bob M.
ke4zdg
What radios do you own?: Spectras, Sabers, MCS/MTS2000

Post by ke4zdg »

kcbooboo wrote:However it EATS AA batteries. Even though the power switch is completely mechanical, it still seems to drain them when sitting completely turned off.

Bob M.
I've had a 259 for years and I've never put AA batteries in it. Always ran on either a portable power pack or plugged in with an extension cord. Taking out all of the screws to get to the batteries was a horrible design.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

I bought the Comet CAA-500 Mark II 1.8 to 500 MHZ. I am happy with it. It can be seem on Comet website, QST magazine review, QST video.
"The world runs on radio."
crash
What radios do you own?: R2001C

Post by crash »

I have two units, one for home and one for work.
The one at work I use to check aircraft antennas with, and the home unit checks everything from 80 meters on up.
I have never had a problem, other than the battery holders cracking in one, and that was an easy repair.
BTW, the work unit has been check against a Bird, and IFR 4000, and is as accurate as they are.
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ
d119

Post by d119 »

I have found that by inserting a shorted plug into the DC input connector on the top of the unit, it preserves the batteries. I have never had to replace the batteries in the unit I have, and I've owned it over a year. It came this way. Simply pull the shorting plug out before powering on the unit. No more dead batteries.

I have also had excellent luck with the unit. I have used them for aligning multi-band trap vertical antennas from 80M-10M, and VHF Low and High band antennas as well. As long as you have a clear understanding of what you are looking at, and verify proper operation against a known good load/antenna prior to beginning, I think you'll find they are worth the money.

A friend of mine has an analyzer made by YouKits, he swears by it and really likes it. It might be something else to consider. It's fully digital instead of having analog meters. I prefer the MFJ unit with the analog meters, especially when tuning for peaks/dips.

Info on those units: https://youkits.com/
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Thanks for the tip about the plug. Now to find out what size plug to buy. I wonder if it has to be shorted. Plugging one in should disconnect the internal battery pack, but then again, so should the power switch, but as the batteries do lose potency rather quickly, I suspect there's some leakage path, possibly to deal with rechargeable batteries, which I'm not using.

Bob M.
d119

Post by d119 »

Bob,

On second thought, it may not be shorted. I will check it when I have some time.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I turned my unit on for the first time in several years. Batteries read 14.6V. Can't complain about that. I must have had a bad cell or two sometime before that.

I also checked the battery type jumper inside: it was set for NO CHARGING. Also, all of the batteries had 2015 dates, so they probably should be replaced at some point.

Interestingly, the manual states that the batteries should be removed if the unit won't be used for more than a month. It's possible there used to be an issue with discharging that may have been fixed. I had to send my unit back to MFJ for a repair and they might have updated things at that time.

In any event I've added a 2.1mm DC power plug to my next parts order. I just hope those come in only one size.

Bob M.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”