IFR 1600 problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GlennD

IFR 1600 problem

Post by GlennD »

I purchased a parts only unit from eBay. It is serial number 1501 and it has the added memory board. From what I gather from JRY that indicates an early unit. Initially It passed all diagnostics except for the 5V being 5.3V. After that I only get the initial splash screen. The keys do nothing. I reset the voltage to 5.0V and as expected it still has the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to check?
GlennD

Re: IFR 1600 problem

Post by GlennD »

Well, I purchased a counter module and while it was in much better condition it did not fix the problem. Since this unit came from a metals recycling firm it may have been left outside. It is very clean inside and out.

I removed the front panel and cleaned all of the connectors. It started working but no dev or frequency error. I then cleaned all of the board sockets. Now the deviation works but no frequency error.

My question is where does the frequency error come from?
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

In looking further at this I am totally missing the FMZ button. The spot is blank where it should be.
d119

Post by d119 »

Keep us posted on this. I still have the unit I purchased from you years ago.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I may put this aside. When you type monitor it reboots so something is really screwed up.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

D119 It came with a canvas carrying case. If you take your instrument to sites and you can use it then its yours.
jry

Post by jry »

does this pass all of the selft-tests ?

May be of value to know what the first failing test is .

Make sure on the 1600 you disconnect everything external first and give it some warm up time ....shouldn't need it but it is recommended in the OPS manual IIRC
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Yes it passes all of the self tests. Basic operation and the Spectrum analyzer work fine. Only the receive has problems. I tried to upgrade the bios to 3.03 with some files I had previously.

The first step is to issue the monitor command. At that point the unitr reboots so it does not work. You can not get to the erase step.
jry

Post by jry »

sounds like a firmware issue or at least that's where I would start is with upgrading the unit to the latest firmware and update to the unified flash and firmware card. Processor has to be upgraded as well to match.
If the selftests pass than the the rest of the unit should be in decent shape ...only way to really know is to go through the calibration and performance checks.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

The separate card has what what I assume is the namps option and it is filled with eproms that say 2.12 on them.

I only have the 3.03 flash for the processor that a kind Aeroflex tech sent to me years ago. I was not really trying to update the unit since I do not know how the firmware update plays with the amps option but the first step is to issue the monitor command and that causes the unit to reboot. I just tried it to see what happens.
jry

Post by jry »

believe those flash files you have are only for the later unified memory card ...last commercial version was 4.03 IIRC. Unless he sent you the individual ROM image files that you had to burn new EPROMS .

The two old style boards are for ROM and the second for RAM ,,,some of which is non-volital. The amps features are controlled by the software option bytes ...not really useful anymore so that would be the least of my concerns.

I usually update units to the later TS-4317 military version which stripped out the cAMPS ?ell stuff. Once again needs the newer memory board and updated processor,

You should also do a memory reset back to factory presets just in case something got messed up there. It's the first thing that is done as part of the calibrations process.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I will try that. I assume that after that it requires calibration? I agree the AMPS option is now useless. It sounds like the file I received years ago would screw up my current unit. That is why I had no intention of really loading it.

I did download some calibration manuals from the repeater builder site. Is it possible to save and restore the current calibration?
jry

Post by jry »

The factory reset is just on the normal configuration settings.

Yes there is a way to save and restore the calibrations but it takes external software to do so.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I am old, I still have procom available with a serial connection. I used it with xmodem years ago to upgrade an instrament.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Reply i think it was for Windows 95 but it works with Windows 10.It is very different than the old DOS version.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I looked at the calibration procedure and I lack the equipment to do anything other than set the reference and it is very close (28 Hz at 950 Mhz) so unless I can restore the current calibration then I am done.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Well, doing a restore factory defaults got the FMZ back but the frequency display remains broken. It was worth a chance but it did not fix the unit.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Well, I purchased a used 1600 CSI. The modules did not fix my other unit so it is the main board or firmware. It was listed as parts so win a few lose a few.

I would like to flash my new unit to the military firmware if it is available. Analog cellular is very dead. I stripped the lower unit for parts.
d119

Post by d119 »

Glenn,

Did you get anywhere with the unit? I've only just now seen your post about the carrying case, if it's still available I would be most interested!
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I will likely use JRY's services when I get the cash together. You are welcome to the padded canvas case. It makes sense if you travel with the unit.
d119

Post by d119 »

Thanks Glenn. I'll try to get in touch with you privately when I know I'll be in the area next. Thank you!
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

OK, It is yours. Since I am now retired I am usually here.
lc4600
New User

Post by lc4600 »

Short Pins 7 and 8 on the RS-232 port and then turn on for monitor mode.
Carl N0PXJ

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”