R2001C/HS will not power up.

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

af4e
New User
What radios do you own?: MCS2000,CM300D,MSF5000

R2001C/HS will not power up.

Post by af4e »

I have a R2001C?HS and it will not power on. I have an ac indicator lit and when I put the monitor in standby the oven light will come on and immediately back off. Then when I put it to the on position nothing happens. I feel like the problem may be in the LVPS. I have the service manual that is on Repeater Builder. Any suggestions?

Darrell
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: R2001C/HS will not power up.

Post by kcbooboo »

Try powering it up with 12VDC. Those units take the incoming 120VAC and run it through a transformer and rectifiers to come up with 12VDC that's used by the rest of the supply. Could be bad diodes or filter caps in the 120VAC to 12VDC part of the supply. You may eventually want to, or need to, replace all of the LVPS caps.

Bob M.
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

Thanks Bob,
I will try the 12V method. All of the caps have been replaced in this unit not very long ago so hopefully it is not one of them. I tried to check the diodes but not sure if some of the readings were legit with them in the circuit.

Darrell
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

They use Schottky diodes in the 12V supply and the readings are different from ordinary silicon or germanium diodes. I think with my Fluke 189 DMM in diode mode I got around 0.35V drop on three and 0.1V drop on the fourth, and I replaced the fourth one. The new one also had 0.1V drop, so I didn't know which value was correct. The supply worked with either diode but I felt better about replacing it anyway.

You should disconnect the wire from the stud end of each of the main rectifiers and check each one out-of-circuit that way.

Bob M.
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

Thanks again Bob. I will check these again. I have not had time to do the 12V check but should be able to do it in the next day or so.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

You also might want to be sure that the three ribbon connectors are connected properly. Also your problem MIGHT be on the HVPS, there is a circuit that acts as a closed loop in the two supplies that, if bad, can cause your symptom.
Dave
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

Thanks Guys,
I am sorry for the lapse but I guess I got something like the flu. Anyway, I have connected the 12 Volts to the battery port and I get the battery LED lit and when I turn the switch on the oven LED blinks on and back off. Nothing else works. I can hear the relay in the power supply coming on and off as I change position of the power switch.

Thanks,
Darrell
ljohn6
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood,Icom,Hytera

Post by ljohn6 »

The description of the relay changing tells me that the 12 volt source you have does not supply enough current to complete the power up, it needs at least 10 amps, after the start up process they settle in at under 5 at least that's what my Motorola draws when on 12 volts.
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

Thanks ljohn,

I am using a Samlex 23 amp switching power supply for my 12V supply. I have checked and I am getting 13.5V output. I have several power supplies and can try a different one. I have several Astron 30 amp supplies and I could use one of them.

Thanks,
Darrell
Audiotron
New User

Post by Audiotron »

Hi

Veja se este é o seu caso :
Imagephoto hosting

Hugs
Audiotron
New User

Post by Audiotron »

Hi

Disregard my previous message after I saw that it is for model R2001D below the link of model R2001C and see page 5-36 of troubleshooting manual
Link : http://www.repeater-builder.com/test-eq ... op-man.pdf

Hugs
ljohn6
New User

Post by ljohn6 »

Darrell
do any of your supplies have an amp meter? so you can see what is happening during power up. that may help if you have a dead short you maybe going beyond the capacity of the Samlex if your amp meter pegs pretty good indication something is shorting out PM me if you need a schematic.
John
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

Thank you Audiotron,

I will do these checks to try to determine if the problem is a low or high voltage power supply trouble. There are no longer replacement low or high voltage power supplies for this model. Thanks.

ljohn6,

I do have a power supply with a meter. 35 amp Astron that I can use.

I would have thought that if it was pulling a high amperage then it would blow a fuse. Is this not the case? I am not having any problem with blowing fuses.

I will try the Astron with meters and see if it indicates a high current draw at start up.

Thank you,
Darrell
ljohn6
New User

Post by ljohn6 »

Darrell it would if the power supply was able to supply enough current, I have had power supplies that would shut down on an overload and then restart using a supply with a meter can sometime help determine whats happening. i always use power supplies with meters built in both on my bench and my sites. just another tool

John
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

John I hooked the monitor to my Astron with meters and I only see less than 1 amp draw including at power up. Not seeing any indication of any short on the meters.

I have no card extenders so the other checks suggested by Audiotron are pretty much impossible. After letting the unit sit with the switch in standby I get the oven light on continuously. This happens with a power supply and on AC both.

Thanks,
Darrell
af4e
New User

Post by af4e »

.I guess this is a little late in the post but Bob suggested that I check all of the diodes. I have disconnected all of the diodes at the stud and they all seem to check good. I did not see anything that looks weird.

All of the caps have been replaced in the LVPS and the HVPS.

I am getting voltage somewhere as the power light at the power switch lights with both the AC and with power supply hooked to it. When I switch to the standby setting the oven light will come on and back off and if I leave it in this setting for a short period the oven light will light and stay on.

When I switch the power switch to ON nothing comes on other than the oven light being lit. I have checked all of the ribbon cables for proper seating and have looked for broken pins and everything there seems to be OK.

I do not have card extenders so testing is very hard or minimal at most.

I really need to get this unit working as this is my only service monitor and no funds to purchase another. I do appreciate any and all suggestions and although sometimes I do not post that I have tried something that was suggested, I assure you that if someone gives me something to do or to check and I am able to do so it is getting checked.

Thanks for all of the help and for reading the post.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The supply takes incoming 120VAC and reduces it through a transformer and the four stud diodes to create "RAW DC" that's in the 12-16V range. The incoming 12VDC line joins up at this point. Then they use the RAW DC to run a 20 kHz oscillator and some switching transistors that feed a second transformer. There are multiple secondary windings that produce half a dozen different voltages. One creates +5V and they use that to regulate the 20 kHz oscillator, thus regulating everything else.

The xtal oven supply and battery charger work off the 120VAC transformer, so it would seem you've got that much working. With the /HS model, you've got the ovenized oscillator so I would expect the "OVEN" LED to come on and off once the oven gets up to temp. They don't charge the battery unless there's 120VAC available. A second small xfmr is used to boost the charging voltage.

You will have to follow some of the logic in the supply that turns things on and off to see where it's failing. There are a bunch of test points. A clean scan of the entire R2001C LVPS manual section is available on-line. It also contains circuit theory. The LVPS is pretty much a self-contained unit and working on it won't be easy. You may have to solder short wires to various points so you can re-assemble and install the LVPS just to make some measurements. Go to

www.repeater-builder.com -> Test Equipment -> Motorola ->
Replace the Power Supply Capacitors in the R2001B and R2001C series Service Monitors

and you'll find the LVPS manual there, along with test point measurements and photos with circles and arrows and paragraphs on the back...

Bob M.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”