Sample DB down mathmatics?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

Sample DB down mathmatics?

Post by fineshot1 »

I have a couple of Bird sampling elements with the BNC output, 30DB and 50DB down.
I am wondering if there is a math calculation online(or anywhere) one can use to get
a possible sample output with an input power(ie:100W) and get the sample output.
Am I assuming incorrectly of thinking 30DB down is about 10% of a given input?
Perhaps there is a chart of this somewhere, maybe?
fineshot1
NJ USA
AdrianH
What radios do you own?: Yaesu FT-857, FT-902DM, FT70

Re: Sample DB down mathmatics?

Post by AdrianH »

I realised, (eventually) that this is an old thread, but it may help someone.

I always work out in my head that every 10 dB down in signal reduces the level by 10. So 10 watts in, with 10 dB loss, I would end up with 1 Watt.

But, 20 dB loss is not a reduction by 20 it is a reduction of 10 x 10 or 100 times the original. So that 10 Watts input would now be 0.1 Watt output

Keep going, 30 dB down would be a reduction of 10 x 10 x 10 or a 1,000th of the original signal, 10 watts input would now give me 10 milliWatt.

Keep on going 50 dB reduction means the output is a 100,000'th of the original power so your 100 Watts with 50 dB loss would be a mere 1 milliwatt output level.

Conversely gain acts in the opposite way, Gain of 10 dB would increase the 10 watt signal to 100 Watts, etc.

3 dB increase doubles power, 3 dB loss halves the power.

These are only for power measurements, considering only voltages as in signal generator output levels is different as that as that is a 6 dB change for doubling the voltage.

Adrian
SmokChsr
New User

Re: Sample DB down mathmatics?

Post by SmokChsr »

As was said, 30db is 0.1%. After that now you have to determine if the -30db sample is frequency compensated or not and in what size line it's 30db down.

If it's a 43 slug then it's for a 7/8" line section. But be aware that they have many many slugs that were not calibrated for 7/8" line sections.

The easy way to check things out if you have a calibrated tracking generator run that through the line section into a load and read the output and see where the signal ends up.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”